Jul 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks continue to make moves in an effort to free up cap space, as they trade RFA Andrew Ladd to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for a draft pick and defensive prospect Ivan Vishnevskiy.
Ladd was given a qualifying offer by the Hawks late last week, but they just couldn’t afford to keep him given how tight their salary cap space has become.
In exchange, they acquire what should be a decent draft pick and what was once a promising prospect in Vishnevskiy.
As of right now, the Hawks have about $55 million locked up in 13 players, but it’s important to remember that thanks to player bonuses going onto next year’s cap they aren’t operating with the same high cap as everyone else.
More moves will have to be made. As of right now, the Hawks have lost several pieces of the depth that made them so great on their Stanley Cup run. This was expected however, especially after the moves Dale Tallon made last summer.
It’s a good thing they won the Cup when they did.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)