Jul 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks continue to make moves in an effort to free up cap space, as they trade RFA Andrew Ladd to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for a draft pick and defensive prospect Ivan Vishnevskiy.
Ladd was given a qualifying offer by the Hawks late last week, but they just couldn’t afford to keep him given how tight their salary cap space has become.
In exchange, they acquire what should be a decent draft pick and what was once a promising prospect in Vishnevskiy.
As of right now, the Hawks have about $55 million locked up in 13 players, but it’s important to remember that thanks to player bonuses going onto next year’s cap they aren’t operating with the same high cap as everyone else.
More moves will have to be made. As of right now, the Hawks have lost several pieces of the depth that made them so great on their Stanley Cup run. This was expected however, especially after the moves Dale Tallon made last summer.
It’s a good thing they won the Cup when they did.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)