Jul 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks continue to make moves in an effort to free up cap space, as they trade RFA Andrew Ladd to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for a draft pick and defensive prospect Ivan Vishnevskiy.
Ladd was given a qualifying offer by the Hawks late last week, but they just couldn’t afford to keep him given how tight their salary cap space has become.
In exchange, they acquire what should be a decent draft pick and what was once a promising prospect in Vishnevskiy.
As of right now, the Hawks have about $55 million locked up in 13 players, but it’s important to remember that thanks to player bonuses going onto next year’s cap they aren’t operating with the same high cap as everyone else.
More moves will have to be made. As of right now, the Hawks have lost several pieces of the depth that made them so great on their Stanley Cup run. This was expected however, especially after the moves Dale Tallon made last summer.
It’s a good thing they won the Cup when they did.
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 1
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 54
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (54)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)