Jul 1, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres lost two defensemen via free agency, but managed to fill that void by signing free agent defenseman Jordan Leopold — who finished last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The financial terms haven’t been disclosed just yet, but it’s a three-year contract for another one of the more underrated defensemen on the market as more and more blueliners get big deals today.
Leopold has been a trade deadline piece the past two years, first going from Calgary to Florida in 2009, then heading from Florida to Pittsburgh this past spring.
While losing Lydman and Tallinder hurts, gaining Leopold should help the transition just a bit.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22