Jun 30, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Earlier today, I discussed the five NHL teams I think have the best chance of landing Ilya Kovalchuk … plus the very real possibility he might take the big bucks in the KHL. Ultimately, I listed the Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues, Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Still, these are just gut reactions based on the makeup of the teams’ rosters, their typical budgets, the size of the markets and cap space available. Chances are, there are other teams who would make some serious sacrifices to land the best goal scorer to become available in unrestricted free agency in years. Besides, it’s always fun to take the temperature of PHT readers, so I must ask: who do you think will land Kovalchuk?
(Note: I didn’t list all 30 teams, but you can write in a candidate. We might change up the poll a bit if there’s one team getting written in a ton. Most of these additions are based on cap space, although I threw the Devils in there since they were his last team and the Capitals because … they really, really love Russians. It’s listed in alphabetical order after the KHL.)
Please vote below.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 8
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (50)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (41)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)