Jun 30, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Earlier today, I discussed the five NHL teams I think have the best chance of landing Ilya Kovalchuk … plus the very real possibility he might take the big bucks in the KHL. Ultimately, I listed the Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues, Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Still, these are just gut reactions based on the makeup of the teams’ rosters, their typical budgets, the size of the markets and cap space available. Chances are, there are other teams who would make some serious sacrifices to land the best goal scorer to become available in unrestricted free agency in years. Besides, it’s always fun to take the temperature of PHT readers, so I must ask: who do you think will land Kovalchuk?
(Note: I didn’t list all 30 teams, but you can write in a candidate. We might change up the poll a bit if there’s one team getting written in a ton. Most of these additions are based on cap space, although I threw the Devils in there since they were his last team and the Capitals because … they really, really love Russians. It’s listed in alphabetical order after the KHL.)
Please vote below.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 38
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1