Jun 30, 2010, 8:43 PM EDT
With tomorrow bringing the NHL free agency apocalypse, tonight provides teams the last chance to try and retain some of their key players set to become free agents at noon tomorrow. The Pittsburgh Penguins appear to be headed towards possibly losing out on two of their biggest performers from the last few years according to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Just heard from the agent for D SERGEI GONCHAR. “No movement,” JP BARRY said via text. I followed by asking if it seemed likely Gonchar was going to the market tomorrow. “Yes,” Barry said.
RW BILL GUERIN informed me that he is likely headed to the market because he “(doesn’t) know what (the Penguins) are thinking or doing.”
Fortunately for the Penguins, filling the spot vacated by Bill Guerin should be seemingly easier to do either via free agency or trade. Sergei Gonchar’s spot on the blueline, however, won’t be as easy to fill should the Penguins officially part ways with the veteran. At 36 years-old, Gonchar is one of the older defensemen available on the market this year but his production has been steady his whole career.
Whether Pittsburgh feels that their young defensemen on the team like Alex Goligoski or Kris Letang are ready to step up in a big way or if they can get a more defensively responsible defenseman remains to be seen. Meanwhile, the Pens are still trying to work something out with Dan Hamhuis, whom they acquired the rights to from the Flyers during the NHL draft. No new progress has been reported there.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)