Jun 30, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
The original thought was that the Edmonton Oilers would just buy out talented but troubled forward Patrick O’Sullivan. Instead, TSN reports that the team traded him to the Phoenix Coyotes for defenseman Jim Vandermeer. While the Oilers look to keep Vandermeer, the Coyotes were the ones who bought O’Sullivan out instead.
O’Sullivan will be bought out by the Coyotes. According to http://www.capgeek.com, O’Sullivan’s buyout is $795,583. The Oilers will keep Vandermeer and add his toughness to their thin defence corps.
Vandermeer carries a fairly heavy $2.3 million cap hit, which basically means the Coyotes saved about $1.5 million in cap space thanks to this deal.
That’s a great move by the cash-strapped Coyotes, who have some decisions to make this off-season. It’s a lateral move by the Oilers at best.
The biggest loser is O’Sullivan, though. He’s shown glimpses of promise and can provide a little versatility too, but I get the impression that he might be a bit of a locker room problem. It will be interesting to see if a contender takes a shot at him since he (should) come cheap or if perhaps a weaker team will hope he’s this year’s Maxim Afinogenov.
I’d be surprised if this was the NHL will see of O’Sullivan, but you never know. He hasn’t exactly made the strongest case for himself the last couple seasons, especially last year when he sported a horrific -35 plus/minus rating.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 46
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)