Jun 30, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
The original thought was that the Edmonton Oilers would just buy out talented but troubled forward Patrick O’Sullivan. Instead, TSN reports that the team traded him to the Phoenix Coyotes for defenseman Jim Vandermeer. While the Oilers look to keep Vandermeer, the Coyotes were the ones who bought O’Sullivan out instead.
O’Sullivan will be bought out by the Coyotes. According to http://www.capgeek.com, O’Sullivan’s buyout is $795,583. The Oilers will keep Vandermeer and add his toughness to their thin defence corps.
Vandermeer carries a fairly heavy $2.3 million cap hit, which basically means the Coyotes saved about $1.5 million in cap space thanks to this deal.
That’s a great move by the cash-strapped Coyotes, who have some decisions to make this off-season. It’s a lateral move by the Oilers at best.
The biggest loser is O’Sullivan, though. He’s shown glimpses of promise and can provide a little versatility too, but I get the impression that he might be a bit of a locker room problem. It will be interesting to see if a contender takes a shot at him since he (should) come cheap or if perhaps a weaker team will hope he’s this year’s Maxim Afinogenov.
I’d be surprised if this was the NHL will see of O’Sullivan, but you never know. He hasn’t exactly made the strongest case for himself the last couple seasons, especially last year when he sported a horrific -35 plus/minus rating.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)