Jun 30, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
It’s not easy when the NHL is your boss. The league, aka the acting owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, fired team president Doug Moss and promoted Mike Nealy to the vacated position. TSN has the report, along with this quick summary of the two executives’ backgrounds.
Moss had been the Coyotes’ President since December, 2002. Prior to that, he had been a Senior Vice-President with the Anaheim Ducks, and President and CEO of the International Hockey League.
Nealy, who joined the Coyotes in 2006, was an Executive Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer for the club. Prior to joining Phoenix, he had worked in finance with the Minnesota Wild.
I’d say the firing was silly if you just looked at last season, but he’s been the president for the club for most of the decade. Considering how wayward the Coyotes have been since then, it seems perfectly reasonable to dump the guy at the top.
That being said, Moss has plenty of work to do. Really, most of the heavy lifting is out of his hands, as the Coyotes need to find an owner (and possibly a new home?) before they can expect to be stable. The Coyotes sale situation is (sadly) far from over, so stay tuned.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 15
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 40
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (120)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)