Jun 30, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
It might not be surprising news, but it’s sad anyway; hobbled Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Van Ryn will not play in the 2010-11 season, according to TSN.
Naturally, this brings up questions of retirement. Van Ryn didn’t play a single game in the 2009-10 season and only appeared in 27 in 08-09 and 20 in 07-08. The once-promising Florida Panthers blueliner hasn’t been able to recover from a left knee injury that required a re-alignment last October.
At 31-years-old with some significant injuries, I’m concerned that the NHL will give him a chance even if he decides to try to come back.
It’s a shame, too, because while he was far from a perfect defenseman, he produced very nicely for a couple years. He hit the 37-point mark in 03-04 and 05-06 in Florida; a mid-30 to 40 point season is usually the standard for a solid offensive season among defensemen. That first post-lockout season will almost certainly stand as his peak in the NHL, combining those 37 points with a +15 rating and 90 PIM.
All the luck in the world to Mike Van Ryn, whether he decides to hang up his skates for good or not.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)