Jun 30, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
It might not be surprising news, but it’s sad anyway; hobbled Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Van Ryn will not play in the 2010-11 season, according to TSN.
Naturally, this brings up questions of retirement. Van Ryn didn’t play a single game in the 2009-10 season and only appeared in 27 in 08-09 and 20 in 07-08. The once-promising Florida Panthers blueliner hasn’t been able to recover from a left knee injury that required a re-alignment last October.
At 31-years-old with some significant injuries, I’m concerned that the NHL will give him a chance even if he decides to try to come back.
It’s a shame, too, because while he was far from a perfect defenseman, he produced very nicely for a couple years. He hit the 37-point mark in 03-04 and 05-06 in Florida; a mid-30 to 40 point season is usually the standard for a solid offensive season among defensemen. That first post-lockout season will almost certainly stand as his peak in the NHL, combining those 37 points with a +15 rating and 90 PIM.
All the luck in the world to Mike Van Ryn, whether he decides to hang up his skates for good or not.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)