Jun 29, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
The hard work of an enforcer in the NHL is never done and for the Dallas Stars, their resident pugilistic master is about to get a nice bump in pay. The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika spills the details.
Stars assistant GM Frank Provenzano just confirmed that the two sides have agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension for tough winger Krys Barch.
Barch will get $825,000 next season and $850,000 in 2011-12. He made $575,000 last season and could have become an unrestricted free agent on Thursday.
It’s a small raise for Barch and I suppose he’s earned an increase in pay that’s basically a cost of living increase in professional sports. Barch finished last season with no goals, six assists and 130 penalty minutes. Not bad work if you can get it, especially when you might as well give a kickback to Brad May for giving you so much work sparring.
What’s working against the perception of this deal is that the Stars have some rather important restricted free agents to take care of yet. Guys like James Neal, Nicklas Grossman and Matt Niskanen will be due for new contracts and Neal especially figures to get a sizable raise. Adding Mike Modano and Jere Lehtinen into the mix as unrestricted free agents who may or may not be re-signed and Dallas’ off-season gets a bit more interesting. For what it’s worth, CapGeek.com will have Dallas cap number for 2010-2011 as of this writing at just over $41 million once Barch’s salary is figured in. That total comes with 11 forwards, six defensemen and one goalie. Safe to say the Stars are in pretty good shape cap-wise.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)