Jun 29, 2010, 1:00 AM EST
The hard work of an enforcer in the NHL is never done and for the Dallas Stars, their resident pugilistic master is about to get a nice bump in pay. The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika spills the details.
Stars assistant GM Frank Provenzano just confirmed that the two sides have agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension for tough winger Krys Barch.
Barch will get $825,000 next season and $850,000 in 2011-12. He made $575,000 last season and could have become an unrestricted free agent on Thursday.
It’s a small raise for Barch and I suppose he’s earned an increase in pay that’s basically a cost of living increase in professional sports. Barch finished last season with no goals, six assists and 130 penalty minutes. Not bad work if you can get it, especially when you might as well give a kickback to Brad May for giving you so much work sparring.
What’s working against the perception of this deal is that the Stars have some rather important restricted free agents to take care of yet. Guys like James Neal, Nicklas Grossman and Matt Niskanen will be due for new contracts and Neal especially figures to get a sizable raise. Adding Mike Modano and Jere Lehtinen into the mix as unrestricted free agents who may or may not be re-signed and Dallas’ off-season gets a bit more interesting. For what it’s worth, CapGeek.com will have Dallas cap number for 2010-2011 as of this writing at just over $41 million once Barch’s salary is figured in. That total comes with 11 forwards, six defensemen and one goalie. Safe to say the Stars are in pretty good shape cap-wise.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)