Jun 29, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
The hard work of an enforcer in the NHL is never done and for the Dallas Stars, their resident pugilistic master is about to get a nice bump in pay. The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika spills the details.
Stars assistant GM Frank Provenzano just confirmed that the two sides have agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension for tough winger Krys Barch.
Barch will get $825,000 next season and $850,000 in 2011-12. He made $575,000 last season and could have become an unrestricted free agent on Thursday.
It’s a small raise for Barch and I suppose he’s earned an increase in pay that’s basically a cost of living increase in professional sports. Barch finished last season with no goals, six assists and 130 penalty minutes. Not bad work if you can get it, especially when you might as well give a kickback to Brad May for giving you so much work sparring.
What’s working against the perception of this deal is that the Stars have some rather important restricted free agents to take care of yet. Guys like James Neal, Nicklas Grossman and Matt Niskanen will be due for new contracts and Neal especially figures to get a sizable raise. Adding Mike Modano and Jere Lehtinen into the mix as unrestricted free agents who may or may not be re-signed and Dallas’ off-season gets a bit more interesting. For what it’s worth, CapGeek.com will have Dallas cap number for 2010-2011 as of this writing at just over $41 million once Barch’s salary is figured in. That total comes with 11 forwards, six defensemen and one goalie. Safe to say the Stars are in pretty good shape cap-wise.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)