Jun 29, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
The hard work of an enforcer in the NHL is never done and for the Dallas Stars, their resident pugilistic master is about to get a nice bump in pay. The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika spills the details.
Stars assistant GM Frank Provenzano just confirmed that the two sides have agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension for tough winger Krys Barch.
Barch will get $825,000 next season and $850,000 in 2011-12. He made $575,000 last season and could have become an unrestricted free agent on Thursday.
It’s a small raise for Barch and I suppose he’s earned an increase in pay that’s basically a cost of living increase in professional sports. Barch finished last season with no goals, six assists and 130 penalty minutes. Not bad work if you can get it, especially when you might as well give a kickback to Brad May for giving you so much work sparring.
What’s working against the perception of this deal is that the Stars have some rather important restricted free agents to take care of yet. Guys like James Neal, Nicklas Grossman and Matt Niskanen will be due for new contracts and Neal especially figures to get a sizable raise. Adding Mike Modano and Jere Lehtinen into the mix as unrestricted free agents who may or may not be re-signed and Dallas’ off-season gets a bit more interesting. For what it’s worth, CapGeek.com will have Dallas cap number for 2010-2011 as of this writing at just over $41 million once Barch’s salary is figured in. That total comes with 11 forwards, six defensemen and one goalie. Safe to say the Stars are in pretty good shape cap-wise.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles