Jun 29, 2010, 12:48 PM EDT
With Wednesday being the last day that teams could put players on waivers with the purpose of eventually buying them out of their contracts and some familiar, yet unsurprising, names are hitting the waiver wire today according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie to prepare for the oncoming free agent frenzy at noon on Thursday.
Anaheim – Nathan Oystrick
Edmonton – Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson, Patrick O’Sullivan
Tampa Bay – Todd Fedoruk
New York Rangers – Donald Brashear, Patrick Rissmiller, Aaron Voros
If these players go unclaimed on waivers, where they’ll sit for the next 24 hours, then they’re eligible to have their contracts bought out by their teams and then making them unrestricted free agents. What does the buyout cost a team that does so? It’s 2/3′s of the cost of the contract spread out over the number of years remaining on the deal for players over 26 years of age when their contract is terminated. Those younger than 26 when their contract is bought out, it’s 1/3 of their contract over the length of the deal. We’ll let you get your abacus out to calculate how much it will cost your teams should they end up buying them out.
As for the players who were waived yesterday that we told you about, they all cleared waivers and are officially eligible to be bought out if their teams decide to do that.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)