Jun 29, 2010, 12:48 PM EST
With Wednesday being the last day that teams could put players on waivers with the purpose of eventually buying them out of their contracts and some familiar, yet unsurprising, names are hitting the waiver wire today according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie to prepare for the oncoming free agent frenzy at noon on Thursday.
Anaheim – Nathan Oystrick
Edmonton – Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson, Patrick O’Sullivan
Tampa Bay – Todd Fedoruk
New York Rangers – Donald Brashear, Patrick Rissmiller, Aaron Voros
If these players go unclaimed on waivers, where they’ll sit for the next 24 hours, then they’re eligible to have their contracts bought out by their teams and then making them unrestricted free agents. What does the buyout cost a team that does so? It’s 2/3′s of the cost of the contract spread out over the number of years remaining on the deal for players over 26 years of age when their contract is terminated. Those younger than 26 when their contract is bought out, it’s 1/3 of their contract over the length of the deal. We’ll let you get your abacus out to calculate how much it will cost your teams should they end up buying them out.
As for the players who were waived yesterday that we told you about, they all cleared waivers and are officially eligible to be bought out if their teams decide to do that.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 12
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 13
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)