Jun 29, 2010, 6:21 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens announced a
somewhat significant trade this afternoon, with three pending free
agents changing teams. Their new teams have a little under two days of
exclusive negotiations to try and sign the pending UFA’s.
acquired forward Sergei Kostitsyn from the Canadiens, who is coming off
several tumultous seasons with the Habs and looks to be closer to being
separated from brother Andrei. After spending three seasons jumping
between the Canadiens and the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL, Sergei was
set to hit the open market as a free agent.
The return for
Montreal is what is intriguing. Dustin Boyd, if signed, could be a
definite boost for the Canadiens who
played so well defensively in the playoffs. Yet it’s Ellis that is the
focal point of this trade.
Dan Ellis, considered by many to be one the better and valuable
goaltenders set to be a free agent, could be exactly what the Habs need
in order to push Carey Price. While there’s certainly the possibility
that Ellis was looking to be a starter, those jobs are few and far
between this summer with a number of worthy goaltenders going on the
market. He also has the perfect temperament to deal with the insanity
that goes on in Montreal, and he won’t let the pressure get to him.
Boyd, if signed, could be a definite boost for the Canadiens who played
so well defensively in the playoffs.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)