Jun 29, 2010, 6:21 PM EST
The Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens announced a
somewhat significant trade this afternoon, with three pending free
agents changing teams. Their new teams have a little under two days of
exclusive negotiations to try and sign the pending UFA’s.
acquired forward Sergei Kostitsyn from the Canadiens, who is coming off
several tumultous seasons with the Habs and looks to be closer to being
separated from brother Andrei. After spending three seasons jumping
between the Canadiens and the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL, Sergei was
set to hit the open market as a free agent.
The return for
Montreal is what is intriguing. Dustin Boyd, if signed, could be a
definite boost for the Canadiens who
played so well defensively in the playoffs. Yet it’s Ellis that is the
focal point of this trade.
Dan Ellis, considered by many to be one the better and valuable
goaltenders set to be a free agent, could be exactly what the Habs need
in order to push Carey Price. While there’s certainly the possibility
that Ellis was looking to be a starter, those jobs are few and far
between this summer with a number of worthy goaltenders going on the
market. He also has the perfect temperament to deal with the insanity
that goes on in Montreal, and he won’t let the pressure get to him.
Boyd, if signed, could be a definite boost for the Canadiens who played
so well defensively in the playoffs.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)