Jun 29, 2010, 6:21 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens announced a
somewhat significant trade this afternoon, with three pending free
agents changing teams. Their new teams have a little under two days of
exclusive negotiations to try and sign the pending UFA’s.
acquired forward Sergei Kostitsyn from the Canadiens, who is coming off
several tumultous seasons with the Habs and looks to be closer to being
separated from brother Andrei. After spending three seasons jumping
between the Canadiens and the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL, Sergei was
set to hit the open market as a free agent.
The return for
Montreal is what is intriguing. Dustin Boyd, if signed, could be a
definite boost for the Canadiens who
played so well defensively in the playoffs. Yet it’s Ellis that is the
focal point of this trade.
Dan Ellis, considered by many to be one the better and valuable
goaltenders set to be a free agent, could be exactly what the Habs need
in order to push Carey Price. While there’s certainly the possibility
that Ellis was looking to be a starter, those jobs are few and far
between this summer with a number of worthy goaltenders going on the
market. He also has the perfect temperament to deal with the insanity
that goes on in Montreal, and he won’t let the pressure get to him.
Boyd, if signed, could be a definite boost for the Canadiens who played
so well defensively in the playoffs.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)