Jun 28, 2010, 12:05 PM EST
Some interesting developments this morning as ESPN is reporting,
several times and by several different mediums, that the Philadelphia
Flyers have reached out and made an offer to impending free agent
goaltender Marty Turco. Supposedly the offer was for $2 million a year, a
far cry from the $5.8 million he made last season and certainly not the
paycut he was expecting to take.
When Turco was reached, he
acknowledged the offer before saying he’s willing to wait and see what
the free agency market shakes out to be.
This doesn’t sound right,
Technically, what the Flyers just did was tampering a
potential free agent. Technically, Marty Turco still belongs to the
Dallas Stars and other teams cannot enter into negotiations with a
player who is under contract with another team.
LeBrun shakes this off and says it’s o.k., since the Dallas Stars “gave
permission” to the Flyers to make an offer to Turco. I still don’t
understand how that would work, since the Flyers wouldn’t be able to
sign him to that offer anyways, since he’s still under contract by the
One option would be that if Turco did agree with the
offer, then the Stars would likely trade his rights to Philadelphia in
exchange for a conditional draft pick. Even if that were the case, it
still feels as if the two teams are dancing on a fine line with
Talking with the media on Saturday after the draft, GM
Paul Holmgren was careful not to say anything that could be regarded as
tampering. When asked if he could negotiate with a player’s agent if he
had permission to and he was particularly vague about the answer.
going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. As far as this
actual issue stands, it doesn’t appear to be anything other than talk.
Despite the paycut he’ll have to take, Turco is going to make more than
$2 million next season; I can understand why he turned down that offer.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)