Jun 28, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Some interesting developments this morning as ESPN is reporting,
several times and by several different mediums, that the Philadelphia
Flyers have reached out and made an offer to impending free agent
goaltender Marty Turco. Supposedly the offer was for $2 million a year, a
far cry from the $5.8 million he made last season and certainly not the
paycut he was expecting to take.
When Turco was reached, he
acknowledged the offer before saying he’s willing to wait and see what
the free agency market shakes out to be.
This doesn’t sound right,
Technically, what the Flyers just did was tampering a
potential free agent. Technically, Marty Turco still belongs to the
Dallas Stars and other teams cannot enter into negotiations with a
player who is under contract with another team.
LeBrun shakes this off and says it’s o.k., since the Dallas Stars “gave
permission” to the Flyers to make an offer to Turco. I still don’t
understand how that would work, since the Flyers wouldn’t be able to
sign him to that offer anyways, since he’s still under contract by the
One option would be that if Turco did agree with the
offer, then the Stars would likely trade his rights to Philadelphia in
exchange for a conditional draft pick. Even if that were the case, it
still feels as if the two teams are dancing on a fine line with
Talking with the media on Saturday after the draft, GM
Paul Holmgren was careful not to say anything that could be regarded as
tampering. When asked if he could negotiate with a player’s agent if he
had permission to and he was particularly vague about the answer.
going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. As far as this
actual issue stands, it doesn’t appear to be anything other than talk.
Despite the paycut he’ll have to take, Turco is going to make more than
$2 million next season; I can understand why he turned down that offer.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 5
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 32
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 4
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris