Jun 28, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Today is the deadline for teams to give qualifying offers to their
restricted free agents, otherwise they become unrestricted free agents
on July 1.
This year, we’re expected a large number of RFA’s to
hit the open market this week as teams face some salary cap and roster
The qualifying offers are already starting to to pour
in, but teams have until 5 p.m. EDT today to get the offers filed with
the NHL. Not risking making the same mistake as last year, the Chicago
Blackhawks have already filed their offers for Andrew Ladd, Antti Niemi
and Niklas Hjalmarsson.
It was going to be interesting to see how
Chicago handled their RFA’s, and Stan Bowman has gone ahead and decided
he needed to keep the three RFA’s at the top of the Hawks’ list.
the RFA’s not receiving offers by teams are minor league players or
prospects. Sometimes, an NHL player isn’t tendered and hits the open
market and joins the pool of free agents. We’ll have that full list
available for you later tonight.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 11
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28