Jun 28, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Today is the deadline for teams to give qualifying offers to their
restricted free agents, otherwise they become unrestricted free agents
on July 1.
This year, we’re expected a large number of RFA’s to
hit the open market this week as teams face some salary cap and roster
The qualifying offers are already starting to to pour
in, but teams have until 5 p.m. EDT today to get the offers filed with
the NHL. Not risking making the same mistake as last year, the Chicago
Blackhawks have already filed their offers for Andrew Ladd, Antti Niemi
and Niklas Hjalmarsson.
It was going to be interesting to see how
Chicago handled their RFA’s, and Stan Bowman has gone ahead and decided
he needed to keep the three RFA’s at the top of the Hawks’ list.
the RFA’s not receiving offers by teams are minor league players or
prospects. Sometimes, an NHL player isn’t tendered and hits the open
market and joins the pool of free agents. We’ll have that full list
available for you later tonight.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)