Jun 28, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
On the afternoon that NHL teams are required to file qualifying
offers for their restricted free agents, we have news of a number of
players who have been placed on waivers and will become UFA’s on July 1.
Jonathan Cheecho (Ottawa), Petteri Nokelainen and Jim Vandermeer
(Phoenix), Ville Koistinen (Florida) and Alex Kotalik of the Calgary
Flames were all placed on waivers, with their respective teams expecting
to buy out their contracts if they do indeed clear waivers. They could
also be picked up by another team, who would then be on the hook for the
rest of their contract.
The two most notable names on that list are Cheechoo and Kotalik.
Kotalik was nothing but a looming disappointment in New York and
Calgary last season, with just three goals with the Flames after he was
acquired from the Rangers via trade. If the Flames don’t buy him out, he
may be reassigned to the AHL or Europe.
For Cheechoo, it’s likely
he spends next season in the AHL. If the Senators do buy out his
contract, it’s going to be tough for the winger to get a one-way
contract after several years of struggling offensively. He had just five
goals in 61 games last season, just five years out from leading in the
NHL in goals scored.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 16
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)