Jun 28, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Perhaps the most surprising, and under the radar, news of this past
week was when Ducks GM Bob Murray revealed that the Ducks had given
forward Bobby Ryan a contract offer in the range of five-years, $20-$25
million — and that Ryan had reportedly turned that offer down.
supposedly put Ryan’s future with the team in doubt, as it’s unlikely
he’s worth more than $5 million a season as this point. Murray quelled
that speculation, however, stating that the team
will qualify Ryan before the RFA deadline today.
“We’re going to do what is right for the organization,” he said. “I’m
in no hurry to do anything whatsoever.”
When asked if he’ll match any offer sheet that could come Ryan’s way
or sit back and consider the amount, Murray flatly said, “If somebody
wants to give him an offer sheet, we have lots of space. We’ll match.”
Today, the Ducks did in fact send a qualifying offer to Ryan.
Negotiations will certainly continue, but it doesn’t appear that Murray
is in any rush to overpay for Ryan. They’ll keep working on an extension, but I don’t see the Ducks budging much from their original offer.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)