Jun 28, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Perhaps the most surprising, and under the radar, news of this past
week was when Ducks GM Bob Murray revealed that the Ducks had given
forward Bobby Ryan a contract offer in the range of five-years, $20-$25
million — and that Ryan had reportedly turned that offer down.
supposedly put Ryan’s future with the team in doubt, as it’s unlikely
he’s worth more than $5 million a season as this point. Murray quelled
that speculation, however, stating that the team
will qualify Ryan before the RFA deadline today.
“We’re going to do what is right for the organization,” he said. “I’m
in no hurry to do anything whatsoever.”
When asked if he’ll match any offer sheet that could come Ryan’s way
or sit back and consider the amount, Murray flatly said, “If somebody
wants to give him an offer sheet, we have lots of space. We’ll match.”
Today, the Ducks did in fact send a qualifying offer to Ryan.
Negotiations will certainly continue, but it doesn’t appear that Murray
is in any rush to overpay for Ryan. They’ll keep working on an extension, but I don’t see the Ducks budging much from their original offer.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)