Jun 28, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
Perhaps the most surprising, and under the radar, news of this past
week was when Ducks GM Bob Murray revealed that the Ducks had given
forward Bobby Ryan a contract offer in the range of five-years, $20-$25
million — and that Ryan had reportedly turned that offer down.
supposedly put Ryan’s future with the team in doubt, as it’s unlikely
he’s worth more than $5 million a season as this point. Murray quelled
that speculation, however, stating that the team
will qualify Ryan before the RFA deadline today.
“We’re going to do what is right for the organization,” he said. “I’m
in no hurry to do anything whatsoever.”
When asked if he’ll match any offer sheet that could come Ryan’s way
or sit back and consider the amount, Murray flatly said, “If somebody
wants to give him an offer sheet, we have lots of space. We’ll match.”
Today, the Ducks did in fact send a qualifying offer to Ryan.
Negotiations will certainly continue, but it doesn’t appear that Murray
is in any rush to overpay for Ryan. They’ll keep working on an extension, but I don’t see the Ducks budging much from their original offer.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 0
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 57
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 76
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (76)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)