Jun 28, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Ray Whitney could be a interesting target once free agency starts on
Friday. He’s an experienced and still skilled forward who put up 58
points last season with Carolina.
While the Canes attempted to
reach an agreement with Whitney and his agent this past week, it looks
as though Whitney will be testing the market this summer.
Rutherford is still optimistic he signs with the Canes. Per Canes Now:
“We’re keeping the door open and hoping that he’ll come back to us,”
The team and Whitney’s agent were supposedly nowhere near close
financially on a potential deal, so now the Hurricanes hope that Whitney
isn’t overwhelmed by a better offer elsewhere. With the free agent
market not all that great this summer, it’s likely Whitney will find a
better deal with another team.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 3
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 8
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 5
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2