Jun 27, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
With any exclusive process, there will be hand-wringing regarding people who were left out.
Even so, much of the hockey world was stunned when the 2010 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees were announced. While the debates have mostly faded thanks to the draft, the choices created quite a bit of controversy on Twitter and other forums.
On that day,
That’s an insanely close race. I’m a little surprised that Dave Andreychuk ended up being named the biggest snub and it’s also a bit shocking that much-hated Eric Lindros received so many votes. Perhaps Lindros is like Nickelback; few people will publicly acknowledge their admiration for him, yet they secretly support his whiny Canadian ways. (Wow, seriously, is Lindros the Nickelback of hockey? I might have to examine that question further at some point … )
Some of the write-in candidates included Broadstreet Bullies-era Flyers coach Fred Shero, Gordie Howe’s son Mark and John Leclair.
Judging from the poll, the debate could be very strong next summer, especially considering the fact that there will be a weak 2011 HHOF class followed by a crop of strong candidates in 2012 and potentially 2013 (detailed here). It’s almost a year away, but expect that conversation to be fascinating.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)