Jun 27, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
With any exclusive process, there will be hand-wringing regarding people who were left out.
Even so, much of the hockey world was stunned when the 2010 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees were announced. While the debates have mostly faded thanks to the draft, the choices created quite a bit of controversy on Twitter and other forums.
On that day,
That’s an insanely close race. I’m a little surprised that Dave Andreychuk ended up being named the biggest snub and it’s also a bit shocking that much-hated Eric Lindros received so many votes. Perhaps Lindros is like Nickelback; few people will publicly acknowledge their admiration for him, yet they secretly support his whiny Canadian ways. (Wow, seriously, is Lindros the Nickelback of hockey? I might have to examine that question further at some point … )
Some of the write-in candidates included Broadstreet Bullies-era Flyers coach Fred Shero, Gordie Howe’s son Mark and John Leclair.
Judging from the poll, the debate could be very strong next summer, especially considering the fact that there will be a weak 2011 HHOF class followed by a crop of strong candidates in 2012 and potentially 2013 (detailed here). It’s almost a year away, but expect that conversation to be fascinating.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)