Jun 27, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
With any exclusive process, there will be hand-wringing regarding people who were left out.
Even so, much of the hockey world was stunned when the 2010 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees were announced. While the debates have mostly faded thanks to the draft, the choices created quite a bit of controversy on Twitter and other forums.
On that day,
That’s an insanely close race. I’m a little surprised that Dave Andreychuk ended up being named the biggest snub and it’s also a bit shocking that much-hated Eric Lindros received so many votes. Perhaps Lindros is like Nickelback; few people will publicly acknowledge their admiration for him, yet they secretly support his whiny Canadian ways. (Wow, seriously, is Lindros the Nickelback of hockey? I might have to examine that question further at some point … )
Some of the write-in candidates included Broadstreet Bullies-era Flyers coach Fred Shero, Gordie Howe’s son Mark and John Leclair.
Judging from the poll, the debate could be very strong next summer, especially considering the fact that there will be a weak 2011 HHOF class followed by a crop of strong candidates in 2012 and potentially 2013 (detailed here). It’s almost a year away, but expect that conversation to be fascinating.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control