Jun 27, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
With any exclusive process, there will be hand-wringing regarding people who were left out.
Even so, much of the hockey world was stunned when the 2010 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees were announced. While the debates have mostly faded thanks to the draft, the choices created quite a bit of controversy on Twitter and other forums.
On that day,
That’s an insanely close race. I’m a little surprised that Dave Andreychuk ended up being named the biggest snub and it’s also a bit shocking that much-hated Eric Lindros received so many votes. Perhaps Lindros is like Nickelback; few people will publicly acknowledge their admiration for him, yet they secretly support his whiny Canadian ways. (Wow, seriously, is Lindros the Nickelback of hockey? I might have to examine that question further at some point … )
Some of the write-in candidates included Broadstreet Bullies-era Flyers coach Fred Shero, Gordie Howe’s son Mark and John Leclair.
Judging from the poll, the debate could be very strong next summer, especially considering the fact that there will be a weak 2011 HHOF class followed by a crop of strong candidates in 2012 and potentially 2013 (detailed here). It’s almost a year away, but expect that conversation to be fascinating.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 149
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (149)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)