Jun 27, 2010, 12:17 AM EDT
The sticking issue in all of this talk about a supposed Marc Savard trade was his no-trade clause, where he would have to approve the destination that the Bruins look to send him. There’s been speculation that the Blue Jackets were interested, as well as a number of Eastern teams.
Word comes now that reportedly Savard is willing to waive his no-trade clause, if he must, and head to either Toronto or Ottawa. Both teams make sense, as both teams are in desperate need of scoring and playmaking centers.
The sticking point, of course, is the contract that Savard currently has. With four years and $25.5 million remaining on his contract, it’s going to be tough for Boston to move him for the maximum value they’d hope to get.
Some have said that Luke Schenn could be part of a trade with Toronto, but GM Peter Chiarelli told NESN.com that if teams were able to eat salary as part of these trades then deals like this would become just a bit easier.
As of now, there’s still nothing concrete on any offer that’s been made and it’s not necessarily a guarantee a trade is made before July 1. If the Bruins can’t move Savard by then, he is then allowed to name up to five teams he is willing to go to. Depending on how free agency shakes out, that is likely the course Boston takes unless a decent deal comes their way in the meantime.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)