Jun 27, 2010, 12:17 AM EST
The sticking issue in all of this talk about a supposed Marc Savard trade was his no-trade clause, where he would have to approve the destination that the Bruins look to send him. There’s been speculation that the Blue Jackets were interested, as well as a number of Eastern teams.
Word comes now that reportedly Savard is willing to waive his no-trade clause, if he must, and head to either Toronto or Ottawa. Both teams make sense, as both teams are in desperate need of scoring and playmaking centers.
The sticking point, of course, is the contract that Savard currently has. With four years and $25.5 million remaining on his contract, it’s going to be tough for Boston to move him for the maximum value they’d hope to get.
Some have said that Luke Schenn could be part of a trade with Toronto, but GM Peter Chiarelli told NESN.com that if teams were able to eat salary as part of these trades then deals like this would become just a bit easier.
As of now, there’s still nothing concrete on any offer that’s been made and it’s not necessarily a guarantee a trade is made before July 1. If the Bruins can’t move Savard by then, he is then allowed to name up to five teams he is willing to go to. Depending on how free agency shakes out, that is likely the course Boston takes unless a decent deal comes their way in the meantime.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)