Jun 27, 2010, 12:17 AM EDT
The sticking issue in all of this talk about a supposed Marc Savard trade was his no-trade clause, where he would have to approve the destination that the Bruins look to send him. There’s been speculation that the Blue Jackets were interested, as well as a number of Eastern teams.
Word comes now that reportedly Savard is willing to waive his no-trade clause, if he must, and head to either Toronto or Ottawa. Both teams make sense, as both teams are in desperate need of scoring and playmaking centers.
The sticking point, of course, is the contract that Savard currently has. With four years and $25.5 million remaining on his contract, it’s going to be tough for Boston to move him for the maximum value they’d hope to get.
Some have said that Luke Schenn could be part of a trade with Toronto, but GM Peter Chiarelli told NESN.com that if teams were able to eat salary as part of these trades then deals like this would become just a bit easier.
As of now, there’s still nothing concrete on any offer that’s been made and it’s not necessarily a guarantee a trade is made before July 1. If the Bruins can’t move Savard by then, he is then allowed to name up to five teams he is willing to go to. Depending on how free agency shakes out, that is likely the course Boston takes unless a decent deal comes their way in the meantime.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)