Jun 27, 2010, 12:17 AM EST
The sticking issue in all of this talk about a supposed Marc Savard trade was his no-trade clause, where he would have to approve the destination that the Bruins look to send him. There’s been speculation that the Blue Jackets were interested, as well as a number of Eastern teams.
Word comes now that reportedly Savard is willing to waive his no-trade clause, if he must, and head to either Toronto or Ottawa. Both teams make sense, as both teams are in desperate need of scoring and playmaking centers.
The sticking point, of course, is the contract that Savard currently has. With four years and $25.5 million remaining on his contract, it’s going to be tough for Boston to move him for the maximum value they’d hope to get.
Some have said that Luke Schenn could be part of a trade with Toronto, but GM Peter Chiarelli told NESN.com that if teams were able to eat salary as part of these trades then deals like this would become just a bit easier.
As of now, there’s still nothing concrete on any offer that’s been made and it’s not necessarily a guarantee a trade is made before July 1. If the Bruins can’t move Savard by then, he is then allowed to name up to five teams he is willing to go to. Depending on how free agency shakes out, that is likely the course Boston takes unless a decent deal comes their way in the meantime.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)