Jun 27, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Even after moving Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Sopel, the Chicago Blackhawks are still going to struggle with the salary cap. That will force some tough decisions with players like Antti Niemi and Niklas Hjalmarsson, but the team hopes to bring back at least one restricted free agent in Andrew Ladd. The Blackhawks extended a qualifying offer to the rugged forward, as TSN reports.
With Monday’s deadline approaching for NHL teams to extend qualifying offers to restricted free agents, the Chicago Blackhawks extended a $1.65 million qualifying offer to winger Andrew Ladd.
Ladd, however, still has arbitration rights to go seek higher compensation.
GM Stan Bowman & Co. will have to make every dollar of the (approximately) $5.99 million in cap space they have right now. Ladd was a valuable – but far from indispensable – member of the Cup winning team.
It should be an interesting and exciting medley of moves next week and the window for qualifying offers could provide some intrigue. Stay tuned here at PHT for the news and scuttlebutt.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)