Jun 27, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Even after moving Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Sopel, the Chicago Blackhawks are still going to struggle with the salary cap. That will force some tough decisions with players like Antti Niemi and Niklas Hjalmarsson, but the team hopes to bring back at least one restricted free agent in Andrew Ladd. The Blackhawks extended a qualifying offer to the rugged forward, as TSN reports.
With Monday’s deadline approaching for NHL teams to extend qualifying offers to restricted free agents, the Chicago Blackhawks extended a $1.65 million qualifying offer to winger Andrew Ladd.
Ladd, however, still has arbitration rights to go seek higher compensation.
GM Stan Bowman & Co. will have to make every dollar of the (approximately) $5.99 million in cap space they have right now. Ladd was a valuable – but far from indispensable – member of the Cup winning team.
It should be an interesting and exciting medley of moves next week and the window for qualifying offers could provide some intrigue. Stay tuned here at PHT for the news and scuttlebutt.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)