Jun 27, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Even after moving Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Sopel, the Chicago Blackhawks are still going to struggle with the salary cap. That will force some tough decisions with players like Antti Niemi and Niklas Hjalmarsson, but the team hopes to bring back at least one restricted free agent in Andrew Ladd. The Blackhawks extended a qualifying offer to the rugged forward, as TSN reports.
With Monday’s deadline approaching for NHL teams to extend qualifying offers to restricted free agents, the Chicago Blackhawks extended a $1.65 million qualifying offer to winger Andrew Ladd.
Ladd, however, still has arbitration rights to go seek higher compensation.
GM Stan Bowman & Co. will have to make every dollar of the (approximately) $5.99 million in cap space they have right now. Ladd was a valuable – but far from indispensable – member of the Cup winning team.
It should be an interesting and exciting medley of moves next week and the window for qualifying offers could provide some intrigue. Stay tuned here at PHT for the news and scuttlebutt.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)