Jun 26, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks aren’t waiting until July 1 to build (and in some ways, disband) their roster.
While re-signing three depth players isn’t going to light the world on fire like the Patrick Marleau and Joe Pavelski deals – or conversely, the lack of an Evgeni Nabokov one – it’s still a sign that the team is getting its ducks in a row. The team announced that they re-signed rugged forward Scott Nichol, recently acquired defenseman Niclas Wallin and center Andrew Desjardins to one-year contracts today.
Financial terms were not yet discussed.
Both Nichol and Wallin are recent additions to the Sharks; Nichol came over as a free agent from the Nashville Predators while Wallin came over from the Carolina Hurricanes. Nichol scored 19 points and compiled 72 PIM in 79 games while Wallin played 70 games between the Sharks and Canes.
Counting Nichol and Wallin, the Sharks now have nine forwards, six defensemen and one goalie under contract (according to their CapGeek roster plus the two re-signed players).
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (115)