Jun 26, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t waiting until July 1 to build (and in some ways, disband) their roster.
While re-signing three depth players isn’t going to light the world on fire like the Patrick Marleau and Joe Pavelski deals – or conversely, the lack of an Evgeni Nabokov one – it’s still a sign that the team is getting its ducks in a row. The team announced that they re-signed rugged forward Scott Nichol, recently acquired defenseman Niclas Wallin and center Andrew Desjardins to one-year contracts today.
Financial terms were not yet discussed.
Both Nichol and Wallin are recent additions to the Sharks; Nichol came over as a free agent from the Nashville Predators while Wallin came over from the Carolina Hurricanes. Nichol scored 19 points and compiled 72 PIM in 79 games while Wallin played 70 games between the Sharks and Canes.
Counting Nichol and Wallin, the Sharks now have nine forwards, six defensemen and one goalie under contract (according to their CapGeek roster plus the two re-signed players).
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)