Jun 26, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t waiting until July 1 to build (and in some ways, disband) their roster.
While re-signing three depth players isn’t going to light the world on fire like the Patrick Marleau and Joe Pavelski deals – or conversely, the lack of an Evgeni Nabokov one – it’s still a sign that the team is getting its ducks in a row. The team announced that they re-signed rugged forward Scott Nichol, recently acquired defenseman Niclas Wallin and center Andrew Desjardins to one-year contracts today.
Financial terms were not yet discussed.
Both Nichol and Wallin are recent additions to the Sharks; Nichol came over as a free agent from the Nashville Predators while Wallin came over from the Carolina Hurricanes. Nichol scored 19 points and compiled 72 PIM in 79 games while Wallin played 70 games between the Sharks and Canes.
Counting Nichol and Wallin, the Sharks now have nine forwards, six defensemen and one goalie under contract (according to their CapGeek roster plus the two re-signed players).
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 26
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)