Jun 26, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks aren’t waiting until July 1 to build (and in some ways, disband) their roster.
While re-signing three depth players isn’t going to light the world on fire like the Patrick Marleau and Joe Pavelski deals – or conversely, the lack of an Evgeni Nabokov one – it’s still a sign that the team is getting its ducks in a row. The team announced that they re-signed rugged forward Scott Nichol, recently acquired defenseman Niclas Wallin and center Andrew Desjardins to one-year contracts today.
Financial terms were not yet discussed.
Both Nichol and Wallin are recent additions to the Sharks; Nichol came over as a free agent from the Nashville Predators while Wallin came over from the Carolina Hurricanes. Nichol scored 19 points and compiled 72 PIM in 79 games while Wallin played 70 games between the Sharks and Canes.
Counting Nichol and Wallin, the Sharks now have nine forwards, six defensemen and one goalie under contract (according to their CapGeek roster plus the two re-signed players).
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)