Jun 26, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
While we didn’t anywhere near the flurry of activity we were anticipating — which is usually how it goes — there was one constant throughout this weekend’s draft.
After the Flyers stated they would like to try and keep negotiating with Dan Hamhuis through next week, they ended up trading away his rights to Pittsburgh when it became apparent a deal wouldn’t be reached.
Talking to the media today, GM Paul Holmgren said that while they did trade away Hamhuis’ rights the story may not be over with the defenseman and the Flyers.
“I’m a little bit disappointed on the Hamhuis deal,” Holmgren stated when asked his thoughts on the weekend. “But that may come
around again on July 1. He might be a free agent on July 1, like he was
schedule to be.”
“We took a shot at him and when it didn’t look like it
would work out we moved his rights.”
The holdup with Hamhuis and the Flyers had nothing to do with a monetary offer (in fact none was ever actually on the table) and Holmgren stated the decision to move Hamhuis had nothing to do with the Flyers’ cap situation.
Instead, the holdup was over the intangibles that the Flyers could offer Hamhuis, namely the fact that Hamhuis wanted to be regarded as a top 3 defenseman on the team and wanted to be guaranteed Matt Carle-like minutes.
The Flyers couldn’t make that promise and Hamhuis’ rights were traded. There’s no guarantee that Pittsburgh will sign Hamhuis either, so there’s a good chance he becomes a UFA on July 1 anyways.
Will the Flyers have another shot? Doubtful, as they couldn’t work out a contract with Hamhuis when they were the only ones negotiating — now they’d be competing with the rest of the NHL.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)