Jun 26, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
There were bound to be a few players that dropped out of the first round, and there were murmurs that Merrill would be one of those players to fall. If he did, whichever team grabbed him would get a player with great potential, and should get a lot of value with their pick even if his stock was sliding.
Merrill was one of the top ranked young defenseman in North America, but lately has seen his name start to brought up along with words like “disappointing”. One of those guys that just hasn’t seemed to play up to his potential, despite having all of the tools to be a great defenseman.
The good news is that Merrill is still very young and has time, with the help of the Devils, to work on his shortcomings and play up to the level of talent many suspect he has. If his mental makeup had matched his physical tools, Merrill would easily have been picked in the top 15. As it stands, the Devils had Merrill fall to them and they get a player with great potential and great value early in the second round.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)