Jun 26, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
The Americans are starting to really take hold in the NHL, as we see more and more American players drafted every year. This year we thought we had seen a record 11 American players drafted in the first round, but officially it’s just a tie with the record of 10.
From the NHL:
There were a record-tying 10 U.S.-born players selected in the first
round, matching the total of the 2006 and 2007 drafts.
Johnson (St. Louis/1st), Phil Kessel (Boston/5th), Kyle Okposo (NY
Islanders/7th), Peter Mueller (Phoenix/8th), Trevor Lewis (Los
Angeles/17th), Mark Mitera (Anaheim/19th), David Fischer
(Montreal/20th), Bobby Sanguinetti (NY Rangers/21st), Nick Foligno
(Ottawa/28th), Chris Summers (Phoenix/29th).
2007: Patrick Kane
(Chicago/1st), James Van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia/2nd), Ryan McDonagh
(Montreal/12th), Kevin Shattenkirk (Colorado/14th), Ian Cole (St.
Louis/18th), Max Pacioretty (Montreal/22nd), Jonathon Blum
(Nashville/23rd), Patrick White (Vancouver/25th), Nick Petrecki (San
Jose/28th), James O’Brien (Ottawa/29th)
2010: Jack Campbell
(Dallas/11th), Derek Forbert (Los Angeles/15th), Austin Watson
(Nashville/18th), Nick Bjugstad (Florida/19th), Beau Bennett
(Pittsburgh/20th), Jarred Tinordi (Montreal/22nd), Kevin Hayes
(Chicago/24th), Charlie Coyle (San Jose/28th), Emerson Etem
(Anaheim/29th), Brock Nelson (NY Islanders/30th).
The numbers don’t include Cam Fowler, pick 12th by the Ducks, who is a dual citizen but represents the US in international play.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)