Jun 26, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
The Americans are starting to really take hold in the NHL, as we see more and more American players drafted every year. This year we thought we had seen a record 11 American players drafted in the first round, but officially it’s just a tie with the record of 10.
From the NHL:
There were a record-tying 10 U.S.-born players selected in the first
round, matching the total of the 2006 and 2007 drafts.
Johnson (St. Louis/1st), Phil Kessel (Boston/5th), Kyle Okposo (NY
Islanders/7th), Peter Mueller (Phoenix/8th), Trevor Lewis (Los
Angeles/17th), Mark Mitera (Anaheim/19th), David Fischer
(Montreal/20th), Bobby Sanguinetti (NY Rangers/21st), Nick Foligno
(Ottawa/28th), Chris Summers (Phoenix/29th).
2007: Patrick Kane
(Chicago/1st), James Van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia/2nd), Ryan McDonagh
(Montreal/12th), Kevin Shattenkirk (Colorado/14th), Ian Cole (St.
Louis/18th), Max Pacioretty (Montreal/22nd), Jonathon Blum
(Nashville/23rd), Patrick White (Vancouver/25th), Nick Petrecki (San
Jose/28th), James O’Brien (Ottawa/29th)
2010: Jack Campbell
(Dallas/11th), Derek Forbert (Los Angeles/15th), Austin Watson
(Nashville/18th), Nick Bjugstad (Florida/19th), Beau Bennett
(Pittsburgh/20th), Jarred Tinordi (Montreal/22nd), Kevin Hayes
(Chicago/24th), Charlie Coyle (San Jose/28th), Emerson Etem
(Anaheim/29th), Brock Nelson (NY Islanders/30th).
The numbers don’t include Cam Fowler, pick 12th by the Ducks, who is a dual citizen but represents the US in international play.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)