Jun 26, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
The Americans are starting to really take hold in the NHL, as we see more and more American players drafted every year. This year we thought we had seen a record 11 American players drafted in the first round, but officially it’s just a tie with the record of 10.
From the NHL:
There were a record-tying 10 U.S.-born players selected in the first
round, matching the total of the 2006 and 2007 drafts.
Johnson (St. Louis/1st), Phil Kessel (Boston/5th), Kyle Okposo (NY
Islanders/7th), Peter Mueller (Phoenix/8th), Trevor Lewis (Los
Angeles/17th), Mark Mitera (Anaheim/19th), David Fischer
(Montreal/20th), Bobby Sanguinetti (NY Rangers/21st), Nick Foligno
(Ottawa/28th), Chris Summers (Phoenix/29th).
2007: Patrick Kane
(Chicago/1st), James Van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia/2nd), Ryan McDonagh
(Montreal/12th), Kevin Shattenkirk (Colorado/14th), Ian Cole (St.
Louis/18th), Max Pacioretty (Montreal/22nd), Jonathon Blum
(Nashville/23rd), Patrick White (Vancouver/25th), Nick Petrecki (San
Jose/28th), James O’Brien (Ottawa/29th)
2010: Jack Campbell
(Dallas/11th), Derek Forbert (Los Angeles/15th), Austin Watson
(Nashville/18th), Nick Bjugstad (Florida/19th), Beau Bennett
(Pittsburgh/20th), Jarred Tinordi (Montreal/22nd), Kevin Hayes
(Chicago/24th), Charlie Coyle (San Jose/28th), Emerson Etem
(Anaheim/29th), Brock Nelson (NY Islanders/30th).
The numbers don’t include Cam Fowler, pick 12th by the Ducks, who is a dual citizen but represents the US in international play.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)