Jun 26, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
The Americans are starting to really take hold in the NHL, as we see more and more American players drafted every year. This year we thought we had seen a record 11 American players drafted in the first round, but officially it’s just a tie with the record of 10.
From the NHL:
There were a record-tying 10 U.S.-born players selected in the first
round, matching the total of the 2006 and 2007 drafts.
Johnson (St. Louis/1st), Phil Kessel (Boston/5th), Kyle Okposo (NY
Islanders/7th), Peter Mueller (Phoenix/8th), Trevor Lewis (Los
Angeles/17th), Mark Mitera (Anaheim/19th), David Fischer
(Montreal/20th), Bobby Sanguinetti (NY Rangers/21st), Nick Foligno
(Ottawa/28th), Chris Summers (Phoenix/29th).
2007: Patrick Kane
(Chicago/1st), James Van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia/2nd), Ryan McDonagh
(Montreal/12th), Kevin Shattenkirk (Colorado/14th), Ian Cole (St.
Louis/18th), Max Pacioretty (Montreal/22nd), Jonathon Blum
(Nashville/23rd), Patrick White (Vancouver/25th), Nick Petrecki (San
Jose/28th), James O’Brien (Ottawa/29th)
2010: Jack Campbell
(Dallas/11th), Derek Forbert (Los Angeles/15th), Austin Watson
(Nashville/18th), Nick Bjugstad (Florida/19th), Beau Bennett
(Pittsburgh/20th), Jarred Tinordi (Montreal/22nd), Kevin Hayes
(Chicago/24th), Charlie Coyle (San Jose/28th), Emerson Etem
(Anaheim/29th), Brock Nelson (NY Islanders/30th).
The numbers don’t include Cam Fowler, pick 12th by the Ducks, who is a dual citizen but represents the US in international play.
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 0
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 23
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24