Jun 26, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
The Americans are starting to really take hold in the NHL, as we see more and more American players drafted every year. This year we thought we had seen a record 11 American players drafted in the first round, but officially it’s just a tie with the record of 10.
From the NHL:
There were a record-tying 10 U.S.-born players selected in the first
round, matching the total of the 2006 and 2007 drafts.
Johnson (St. Louis/1st), Phil Kessel (Boston/5th), Kyle Okposo (NY
Islanders/7th), Peter Mueller (Phoenix/8th), Trevor Lewis (Los
Angeles/17th), Mark Mitera (Anaheim/19th), David Fischer
(Montreal/20th), Bobby Sanguinetti (NY Rangers/21st), Nick Foligno
(Ottawa/28th), Chris Summers (Phoenix/29th).
2007: Patrick Kane
(Chicago/1st), James Van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia/2nd), Ryan McDonagh
(Montreal/12th), Kevin Shattenkirk (Colorado/14th), Ian Cole (St.
Louis/18th), Max Pacioretty (Montreal/22nd), Jonathon Blum
(Nashville/23rd), Patrick White (Vancouver/25th), Nick Petrecki (San
Jose/28th), James O’Brien (Ottawa/29th)
2010: Jack Campbell
(Dallas/11th), Derek Forbert (Los Angeles/15th), Austin Watson
(Nashville/18th), Nick Bjugstad (Florida/19th), Beau Bennett
(Pittsburgh/20th), Jarred Tinordi (Montreal/22nd), Kevin Hayes
(Chicago/24th), Charlie Coyle (San Jose/28th), Emerson Etem
(Anaheim/29th), Brock Nelson (NY Islanders/30th).
The numbers don’t include Cam Fowler, pick 12th by the Ducks, who is a dual citizen but represents the US in international play.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)