Jun 26, 2010, 1:05 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson said today that he’s hopeful that the Sharks can trade the rights to Evgeni Nabokov today, but that if it doesn’t go down this afternoon he’s expecting negotiations to drag into early next week.
It seemed that the Flyers were on the verge of making a trade for the veteran netminder, but another team swooped in and put their name into the mix for Nabokov’s rights. No word on exactly who it is that is haggling with San Jose over Nabokov.
The other issue here is the fact that Nabokov has a no-trade clause. Tim Panaccio says that the Nabokov’s agent already knows which teams Nabokov would be willing to waive his NTC for. Is that a team like Philly?
Some may ask why Nabokov would be willing to be traded instead of testing the FA market, but it’s highly unlikely he get’s the sort of contract he’d want if he’s in the mix with a crowded group of goaltenders. If he can get negotiations started early with a team he’s willing to play for, chances are his contract will be a bit more favorable.
One interesting note: there are rumors that teams are very hesitant to take a chance on Nabokov after his Olympics performance, and that he wouldn’t have anything close to the amount of offers others would receive once free agency starts.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)