Jun 26, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
GM Doug Wilson said today that he’s hopeful that the Sharks can trade the rights to Evgeni Nabokov today, but that if it doesn’t go down this afternoon he’s expecting negotiations to drag into early next week.
It seemed that the Flyers were on the verge of making a trade for the veteran netminder, but another team swooped in and put their name into the mix for Nabokov’s rights. No word on exactly who it is that is haggling with San Jose over Nabokov.
The other issue here is the fact that Nabokov has a no-trade clause. Tim Panaccio says that the Nabokov’s agent already knows which teams Nabokov would be willing to waive his NTC for. Is that a team like Philly?
Some may ask why Nabokov would be willing to be traded instead of testing the FA market, but it’s highly unlikely he get’s the sort of contract he’d want if he’s in the mix with a crowded group of goaltenders. If he can get negotiations started early with a team he’s willing to play for, chances are his contract will be a bit more favorable.
One interesting note: there are rumors that teams are very hesitant to take a chance on Nabokov after his Olympics performance, and that he wouldn’t have anything close to the amount of offers others would receive once free agency starts.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)