Jun 26, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
GM Doug Wilson said today that he’s hopeful that the Sharks can trade the rights to Evgeni Nabokov today, but that if it doesn’t go down this afternoon he’s expecting negotiations to drag into early next week.
It seemed that the Flyers were on the verge of making a trade for the veteran netminder, but another team swooped in and put their name into the mix for Nabokov’s rights. No word on exactly who it is that is haggling with San Jose over Nabokov.
The other issue here is the fact that Nabokov has a no-trade clause. Tim Panaccio says that the Nabokov’s agent already knows which teams Nabokov would be willing to waive his NTC for. Is that a team like Philly?
Some may ask why Nabokov would be willing to be traded instead of testing the FA market, but it’s highly unlikely he get’s the sort of contract he’d want if he’s in the mix with a crowded group of goaltenders. If he can get negotiations started early with a team he’s willing to play for, chances are his contract will be a bit more favorable.
One interesting note: there are rumors that teams are very hesitant to take a chance on Nabokov after his Olympics performance, and that he wouldn’t have anything close to the amount of offers others would receive once free agency starts.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)