Jun 26, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
GM Doug Wilson said today that he’s hopeful that the Sharks can trade the rights to Evgeni Nabokov today, but that if it doesn’t go down this afternoon he’s expecting negotiations to drag into early next week.
It seemed that the Flyers were on the verge of making a trade for the veteran netminder, but another team swooped in and put their name into the mix for Nabokov’s rights. No word on exactly who it is that is haggling with San Jose over Nabokov.
The other issue here is the fact that Nabokov has a no-trade clause. Tim Panaccio says that the Nabokov’s agent already knows which teams Nabokov would be willing to waive his NTC for. Is that a team like Philly?
Some may ask why Nabokov would be willing to be traded instead of testing the FA market, but it’s highly unlikely he get’s the sort of contract he’d want if he’s in the mix with a crowded group of goaltenders. If he can get negotiations started early with a team he’s willing to play for, chances are his contract will be a bit more favorable.
One interesting note: there are rumors that teams are very hesitant to take a chance on Nabokov after his Olympics performance, and that he wouldn’t have anything close to the amount of offers others would receive once free agency starts.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)