Jun 26, 2010, 1:05 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson said today that he’s hopeful that the Sharks can trade the rights to Evgeni Nabokov today, but that if it doesn’t go down this afternoon he’s expecting negotiations to drag into early next week.
It seemed that the Flyers were on the verge of making a trade for the veteran netminder, but another team swooped in and put their name into the mix for Nabokov’s rights. No word on exactly who it is that is haggling with San Jose over Nabokov.
The other issue here is the fact that Nabokov has a no-trade clause. Tim Panaccio says that the Nabokov’s agent already knows which teams Nabokov would be willing to waive his NTC for. Is that a team like Philly?
Some may ask why Nabokov would be willing to be traded instead of testing the FA market, but it’s highly unlikely he get’s the sort of contract he’d want if he’s in the mix with a crowded group of goaltenders. If he can get negotiations started early with a team he’s willing to play for, chances are his contract will be a bit more favorable.
One interesting note: there are rumors that teams are very hesitant to take a chance on Nabokov after his Olympics performance, and that he wouldn’t have anything close to the amount of offers others would receive once free agency starts.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 83
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (84)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)