Jun 26, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
We were promised a crazy weekend.
Heck, I was sure of it.
After a few weeks of buildup, as team officials were sure there was going to be a flurry of activity leading up to the draft, all we got was a Keith Ballard trade and Dan Hamhuis’ negotiating rights moved to Pittsburgh.
I’d say last year was crazier. Easily.
Teams needed to make salary cap room and they were needing to make trades for positions of need, before a stale free agency class hit the market on July 1. The stars were aligned, and instead there was nothing but disappointment.
When the media hit the draft floor yesterday, immediately the throng started to analyze every conversation witnessed between team officials. The tweets started to fly, as we tried to breakdown every whisper witnessed between general managers.
Perhaps they were just catching up, because the trades never happened.
There’s still a chance that we see some trades this week before free agency starts, but at this point I’m not holding my breath. The teams are just asking for too much, and with free agency looming they’d rather just take their chances with the open market.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)