Jun 26, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
We were promised a crazy weekend.
Heck, I was sure of it.
After a few weeks of buildup, as team officials were sure there was going to be a flurry of activity leading up to the draft, all we got was a Keith Ballard trade and Dan Hamhuis’ negotiating rights moved to Pittsburgh.
I’d say last year was crazier. Easily.
Teams needed to make salary cap room and they were needing to make trades for positions of need, before a stale free agency class hit the market on July 1. The stars were aligned, and instead there was nothing but disappointment.
When the media hit the draft floor yesterday, immediately the throng started to analyze every conversation witnessed between team officials. The tweets started to fly, as we tried to breakdown every whisper witnessed between general managers.
Perhaps they were just catching up, because the trades never happened.
There’s still a chance that we see some trades this week before free agency starts, but at this point I’m not holding my breath. The teams are just asking for too much, and with free agency looming they’d rather just take their chances with the open market.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness