Jun 26, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
We were promised a crazy weekend.
Heck, I was sure of it.
After a few weeks of buildup, as team officials were sure there was going to be a flurry of activity leading up to the draft, all we got was a Keith Ballard trade and Dan Hamhuis’ negotiating rights moved to Pittsburgh.
I’d say last year was crazier. Easily.
Teams needed to make salary cap room and they were needing to make trades for positions of need, before a stale free agency class hit the market on July 1. The stars were aligned, and instead there was nothing but disappointment.
When the media hit the draft floor yesterday, immediately the throng started to analyze every conversation witnessed between team officials. The tweets started to fly, as we tried to breakdown every whisper witnessed between general managers.
Perhaps they were just catching up, because the trades never happened.
There’s still a chance that we see some trades this week before free agency starts, but at this point I’m not holding my breath. The teams are just asking for too much, and with free agency looming they’d rather just take their chances with the open market.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)