Jun 26, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
We were promised a crazy weekend.
Heck, I was sure of it.
After a few weeks of buildup, as team officials were sure there was going to be a flurry of activity leading up to the draft, all we got was a Keith Ballard trade and Dan Hamhuis’ negotiating rights moved to Pittsburgh.
I’d say last year was crazier. Easily.
Teams needed to make salary cap room and they were needing to make trades for positions of need, before a stale free agency class hit the market on July 1. The stars were aligned, and instead there was nothing but disappointment.
When the media hit the draft floor yesterday, immediately the throng started to analyze every conversation witnessed between team officials. The tweets started to fly, as we tried to breakdown every whisper witnessed between general managers.
Perhaps they were just catching up, because the trades never happened.
There’s still a chance that we see some trades this week before free agency starts, but at this point I’m not holding my breath. The teams are just asking for too much, and with free agency looming they’d rather just take their chances with the open market.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)