Jun 25, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
Round 1 – 16th overall
St. Louis Blues – Vladimir Tarasenko
5’11” 202 lbs., RW, Novosibirsk (KHL)
After choosing Jaden Schwartz at number 14, the St. Louis Blues decided to move up to make another bold move, selecting Vladimir Tarasenko despite the fact that he is currently under contract with the KHL.
If it weren’t for that difficult contract situation, Tarasenko could be a top-10 (maybe even top-5) pick in this year’s draft. Dealing with the KHL is a risky proposition, but it could end up being a brilliant gamble for the suddenly fascinating Blues. The team is making waves over and over again this summer. If Tarasenko comes to the team after his foreign league deal is up, John Davidson and company could be looking awfully smart.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35