Jun 25, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
Round 1 – 16th overall
St. Louis Blues – Vladimir Tarasenko
5’11″ 202 lbs., RW, Novosibirsk (KHL)
After choosing Jaden Schwartz at number 14, the St. Louis Blues decided to move up to make another bold move, selecting Vladimir Tarasenko despite the fact that he is currently under contract with the KHL.
If it weren’t for that difficult contract situation, Tarasenko could be a top-10 (maybe even top-5) pick in this year’s draft. Dealing with the KHL is a risky proposition, but it could end up being a brilliant gamble for the suddenly fascinating Blues. The team is making waves over and over again this summer. If Tarasenko comes to the team after his foreign league deal is up, John Davidson and company could be looking awfully smart.
- Report: No suspension for Lucic spear of DeKeyser 6
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 111
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17