Jun 25, 2010, 9:31 PM EST
Round 1 – 16th overall
St. Louis Blues – Vladimir Tarasenko
5’11” 202 lbs., RW, Novosibirsk (KHL)
After choosing Jaden Schwartz at number 14, the St. Louis Blues decided to move up to make another bold move, selecting Vladimir Tarasenko despite the fact that he is currently under contract with the KHL.
If it weren’t for that difficult contract situation, Tarasenko could be a top-10 (maybe even top-5) pick in this year’s draft. Dealing with the KHL is a risky proposition, but it could end up being a brilliant gamble for the suddenly fascinating Blues. The team is making waves over and over again this summer. If Tarasenko comes to the team after his foreign league deal is up, John Davidson and company could be looking awfully smart.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4