Jun 25, 2010, 9:31 PM EST
Round 1 – 16th overall
St. Louis Blues – Vladimir Tarasenko
5’11” 202 lbs., RW, Novosibirsk (KHL)
After choosing Jaden Schwartz at number 14, the St. Louis Blues decided to move up to make another bold move, selecting Vladimir Tarasenko despite the fact that he is currently under contract with the KHL.
If it weren’t for that difficult contract situation, Tarasenko could be a top-10 (maybe even top-5) pick in this year’s draft. Dealing with the KHL is a risky proposition, but it could end up being a brilliant gamble for the suddenly fascinating Blues. The team is making waves over and over again this summer. If Tarasenko comes to the team after his foreign league deal is up, John Davidson and company could be looking awfully smart.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11