Jun 25, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
Round 1 – 16th overall
St. Louis Blues – Vladimir Tarasenko
5’11” 202 lbs., RW, Novosibirsk (KHL)
After choosing Jaden Schwartz at number 14, the St. Louis Blues decided to move up to make another bold move, selecting Vladimir Tarasenko despite the fact that he is currently under contract with the KHL.
If it weren’t for that difficult contract situation, Tarasenko could be a top-10 (maybe even top-5) pick in this year’s draft. Dealing with the KHL is a risky proposition, but it could end up being a brilliant gamble for the suddenly fascinating Blues. The team is making waves over and over again this summer. If Tarasenko comes to the team after his foreign league deal is up, John Davidson and company could be looking awfully smart.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 45
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5