Jun 25, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Being the last major event before the NHL goes into spectacle hibernation, it was nice to see that the league rolled out some state fair-like attractions to entertain children (plus man-children) and hockey fans alike. Young hockey fans could play a little street hockey in one spot, 2K Sports displayed its video game wares and plenty of photo opportunities could be had.
As you can see from this photo (all via The Royal Half) the outdoor events were nicely attended (especially considering the fact that the pictures were taken about four hours before the draft was set to go live on TV).
Perhaps the most amusing sight was this inflatable hockey player, who bore a disturbing resemblance to rugged Carolina Hurricanes center Rod Brind’amour.
Another strange setup featured some odd, eerily life-like yet faceless statues of different players (such as Dany Heatley, below) meant to sell jerseys as well as mini-goalies with openings for people to stick their grinning faces. High points for creativity, at least.
Overall, it was a nice atmosphere. I didn’t really know what to expect from the draft (aside from the fact that the whether would be incredible), but so far so good.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)