Jun 25, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Being the last major event before the NHL goes into spectacle hibernation, it was nice to see that the league rolled out some state fair-like attractions to entertain children (plus man-children) and hockey fans alike. Young hockey fans could play a little street hockey in one spot, 2K Sports displayed its video game wares and plenty of photo opportunities could be had.
As you can see from this photo (all via The Royal Half) the outdoor events were nicely attended (especially considering the fact that the pictures were taken about four hours before the draft was set to go live on TV).
Perhaps the most amusing sight was this inflatable hockey player, who bore a disturbing resemblance to rugged Carolina Hurricanes center Rod Brind’amour.
Another strange setup featured some odd, eerily life-like yet faceless statues of different players (such as Dany Heatley, below) meant to sell jerseys as well as mini-goalies with openings for people to stick their grinning faces. High points for creativity, at least.
Overall, it was a nice atmosphere. I didn’t really know what to expect from the draft (aside from the fact that the whether would be incredible), but so far so good.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 0
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)