Jun 25, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Being the last major event before the NHL goes into spectacle hibernation, it was nice to see that the league rolled out some state fair-like attractions to entertain children (plus man-children) and hockey fans alike. Young hockey fans could play a little street hockey in one spot, 2K Sports displayed its video game wares and plenty of photo opportunities could be had.
As you can see from this photo (all via The Royal Half) the outdoor events were nicely attended (especially considering the fact that the pictures were taken about four hours before the draft was set to go live on TV).
Perhaps the most amusing sight was this inflatable hockey player, who bore a disturbing resemblance to rugged Carolina Hurricanes center Rod Brind’amour.
Another strange setup featured some odd, eerily life-like yet faceless statues of different players (such as Dany Heatley, below) meant to sell jerseys as well as mini-goalies with openings for people to stick their grinning faces. High points for creativity, at least.
Overall, it was a nice atmosphere. I didn’t really know what to expect from the draft (aside from the fact that the whether would be incredible), but so far so good.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)