Jun 25, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers traded for defenseman Dan Hamhuis with the intention of signing him to a contract before the NHL Draft.
Well, the draft is tonight and it doesn’t appear the two sides are anywhere closer on a deal. With both sides saying they’d like contract in place before the draft, there’s been recent speculation that the Flyers would be open to trading away his rights for some draft picks tonight.
That doesn’t appear to be the case.
The Flyers made the trade with every intention of Hamhuis being on the team next season, and they have until July 1 to reach a deal before he becomes a free agent. As we approach that deadline, expect for the team to then trade Hamhuis’ rights if it appears a deal won’t be reached then.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 6
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 43
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 72
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40