Jun 25, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers traded defenseman Keith Ballard and prospect Victor Oreskovich to the Vancouver Canucks for big forward Steve Bernier, Michael Grabner and the 25th pick, reports George Richards of On Frozen Pond.
New Panthers GM Dale Tallon is shuffling a lot of pieces around and this could be a sign of more things to come as he attempts to rebuild the ailing franchise on the fly.
Ballard had 28 points in 82 games last season and will leave a $4.2 million mark on the Canucks’ salary cap through the 2014-15 season. Of course, his most memorable moment might be when he accidentally high-sticked his own goalie, Tomas Vokoun. Ballard provides extra depth (and a possible replacement for Willie Mitchell) for a Canucks D-core that was racked with injuries last season.
Bernier will provide the Panthers with a big forward to help fill the void left by the recently traded Nathan Horton. The 25th pick will allow Tallon to refresh a depleted farm system in Florida.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)