Jun 25, 2010, 12:15 AM EST
While the majority of the Bruins focus of late has been on who they want to take with the second overall pick in Friday’s NHL Draft, the speculation is picking up surrounding a couple of players on their roster that they may be looking to trade. The Sporting News goes into the dirty details.
The Bruins reportedly have given Tim Thomas’ agent permission to seek a trade. And the Boston Herald says Bruins are expected to peddle Savard, a clear indication they are locked in on Tyler Seguin with the second-overall pick.
While it seems strange Thomas’ agent got permission to make a deal, keep in mind that Thomas has a no movement clause in his contract so having him find a place he’d like to go to is a bit more important than the Bruins potentially finding a trade partner that Thomas would nix a deal to. One team that just might be more than interested in talking to the Bruins about Thomas are the Philadelphia Flyers as CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio tells us.
Sources at the Board of Governors confirmed on Thursday that Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and Boston’s Peter Chiarelli have spoken about the netminder, who has three years left on his contract and has been replaced as a starter by Tuukka Rask.
Flyers’ sources say, however, they consider Thomas “too expensive,” despite his 2.56 goals against average and .915 save percentage in 43 games last season.
Outside sources say, however, the Flyers are willing to move two players “if” they decide to go the Thomas route and “if” it’s the right players to move. Those sources added the only untouchable Flyers are Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.
The Bruins would be faced with the prospect of dealing Thomas to a fellow Eastern Conference rival and having to deal with potentially having Thomas beating their own team on a regular basis. That’s not exactly a heart-warming scenario for the Bruins but when you’re looking for salary relief, strange bedfellows are often had.
As for Savard, who the Bruins signed to a contract extension last December, he too has a no-movement clause in his contract, one that becomes much more limited on July 1st when the new contract begins. So where are the Bruins in figuring out where they’d want to send him? Turns out Joe Haggerty at CSN New England got the details there.
Sources indicate Marc Savard would OK move to OTT, TOR and CHI if right deal was there. Problem: Currently none of those teams want him
Well isn’t that a kick in the pants for the Bruins. It’s also interesting to see that Toronto and Ottawa are on that list. I don’t suppose that Savard would have payback on his mind at all there. I’m sure the Bruins would love to talk to Toronto about something involving Tomas Kaberle but there’s no doubt that Toronto would want a little bit extra from the Bruins to do something like that.
There’s a lot of smoke circulating about both of these Bruins stars so there’s discussions being had about both guys, whether it turns into something more substantial or not we may have to wait until the start of the draft or even July 1st to see what may or may not shake loose. Needless to say, keeping an eye on what the Bruins are doing may become mandatory watching the next week or two.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 4
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 29
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 31
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)