Jun 25, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Round 1 – 9th overall
Minnesota Wild – Mikael Granlund
5′ 10″, 180 lbs – center, HIFK (Finland)
While Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley wait for letters of compassion from Brady Quinn, the draft moves on. Mikael Granlund was the top skater ranked by Central Scouting, so it’s not as if the Minnesota Wild ended up with chopped liver.
Granlund is basically the polar opposite of what people expect a Wild player to be; he’s small, slick and can make magic happen with the puck (all apologies to Mikko Koivu). It’s unclear how long it will take Granlund to make the jump to the NHL, but Minnesota is light on offensive skill so he might make an impact on their roster soon.
It’s been a pretty shocking draft once we got past the obvious Hall-Seguin combo, so stay tuned for more potential jaw-droppers.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 2
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)