Jun 25, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Round 1 – 9th overall
Minnesota Wild – Mikael Granlund
5′ 10″, 180 lbs – center, HIFK (Finland)
While Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley wait for letters of compassion from Brady Quinn, the draft moves on. Mikael Granlund was the top skater ranked by Central Scouting, so it’s not as if the Minnesota Wild ended up with chopped liver.
Granlund is basically the polar opposite of what people expect a Wild player to be; he’s small, slick and can make magic happen with the puck (all apologies to Mikko Koivu). It’s unclear how long it will take Granlund to make the jump to the NHL, but Minnesota is light on offensive skill so he might make an impact on their roster soon.
It’s been a pretty shocking draft once we got past the obvious Hall-Seguin combo, so stay tuned for more potential jaw-droppers.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8