Jun 25, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Round 1 – 9th overall
Minnesota Wild – Mikael Granlund
5′ 10″, 180 lbs – center, HIFK (Finland)
While Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley wait for letters of compassion from Brady Quinn, the draft moves on. Mikael Granlund was the top skater ranked by Central Scouting, so it’s not as if the Minnesota Wild ended up with chopped liver.
Granlund is basically the polar opposite of what people expect a Wild player to be; he’s small, slick and can make magic happen with the puck (all apologies to Mikko Koivu). It’s unclear how long it will take Granlund to make the jump to the NHL, but Minnesota is light on offensive skill so he might make an impact on their roster soon.
It’s been a pretty shocking draft once we got past the obvious Hall-Seguin combo, so stay tuned for more potential jaw-droppers.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 7
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)