Jun 25, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Round 1 – 9th overall
Minnesota Wild – Mikael Granlund
5′ 10″, 180 lbs – center, HIFK (Finland)
While Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley wait for letters of compassion from Brady Quinn, the draft moves on. Mikael Granlund was the top skater ranked by Central Scouting, so it’s not as if the Minnesota Wild ended up with chopped liver.
Granlund is basically the polar opposite of what people expect a Wild player to be; he’s small, slick and can make magic happen with the puck (all apologies to Mikko Koivu). It’s unclear how long it will take Granlund to make the jump to the NHL, but Minnesota is light on offensive skill so he might make an impact on their roster soon.
It’s been a pretty shocking draft once we got past the obvious Hall-Seguin combo, so stay tuned for more potential jaw-droppers.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 0
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 5
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 17
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20