Jun 25, 2010, 7:54 PM EST
Round 1 – 5th overall
New York Islanders – Nino Niederreiter
6′ 1″ 201 lbs – Right Wing, Portland (WHL)
With Cam Fowler there for the taking, the Islanders stuck with their guns and picked the guy they had wanted all along – Nino Niederreiter.
The dynamic playmaker had seen his stock skyrocket the past few months and the Islanders were locked into taking him no matter what pick they ended up with. Fowler was there after the Blue Jackets picked Ryan Johanson, and was the one player that many felt would be the guy that could take Niederreiter’s spot for the Islanders if he was available.
Instead, they stuck with their guns and nabbed Niederreiter, who was certainly a worthy top-5 pick and comparable in skill to Hall and Seguin.
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 1
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 44
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15