Jun 25, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
Round 1 – 5th overall
New York Islanders – Nino Niederreiter
6′ 1″ 201 lbs – Right Wing, Portland (WHL)
With Cam Fowler there for the taking, the Islanders stuck with their guns and picked the guy they had wanted all along – Nino Niederreiter.
The dynamic playmaker had seen his stock skyrocket the past few months and the Islanders were locked into taking him no matter what pick they ended up with. Fowler was there after the Blue Jackets picked Ryan Johanson, and was the one player that many felt would be the guy that could take Niederreiter’s spot for the Islanders if he was available.
Instead, they stuck with their guns and nabbed Niederreiter, who was certainly a worthy top-5 pick and comparable in skill to Hall and Seguin.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 6
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)