Jun 25, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Round 1 – 13th overall
Phoenix Coyotes – Brandon Gormley
6’2″, 185 lbs. defenseman, Moncton (QMJHL)
Two bluechip defensemen dropped in the draft – Gormley and Cam Fowler. They went consecutively and to the chagrin of the Kings, Stars and Sharks, both of them also ended up falling to Pacific division teams.
Don Maloney received the first ever GM of the Year award this summer and he’s taking advantage of some (rare) good luck today. Gormley is hockey’s version of a “five-tool player” in baseball; while he doesn’t stand head and shoulders above other prospects in one specific area, he’s more or less good at everything.
This was a great value for the Coyotes.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)