Jun 25, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Round 1 – 13th overall
Phoenix Coyotes – Brandon Gormley
6’2″, 185 lbs. defenseman, Moncton (QMJHL)
Two bluechip defensemen dropped in the draft – Gormley and Cam Fowler. They went consecutively and to the chagrin of the Kings, Stars and Sharks, both of them also ended up falling to Pacific division teams.
Don Maloney received the first ever GM of the Year award this summer and he’s taking advantage of some (rare) good luck today. Gormley is hockey’s version of a “five-tool player” in baseball; while he doesn’t stand head and shoulders above other prospects in one specific area, he’s more or less good at everything.
This was a great value for the Coyotes.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)