Jun 25, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Round 1 – 13th overall
Phoenix Coyotes – Brandon Gormley
6’2″, 185 lbs. defenseman, Moncton (QMJHL)
Two bluechip defensemen dropped in the draft – Gormley and Cam Fowler. They went consecutively and to the chagrin of the Kings, Stars and Sharks, both of them also ended up falling to Pacific division teams.
Don Maloney received the first ever GM of the Year award this summer and he’s taking advantage of some (rare) good luck today. Gormley is hockey’s version of a “five-tool player” in baseball; while he doesn’t stand head and shoulders above other prospects in one specific area, he’s more or less good at everything.
This was a great value for the Coyotes.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 29
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 14
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 3
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 57
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (56)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)