Jun 25, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Round 1 – 13th overall
Phoenix Coyotes – Brandon Gormley
6’2″, 185 lbs. defenseman, Moncton (QMJHL)
Two bluechip defensemen dropped in the draft – Gormley and Cam Fowler. They went consecutively and to the chagrin of the Kings, Stars and Sharks, both of them also ended up falling to Pacific division teams.
Don Maloney received the first ever GM of the Year award this summer and he’s taking advantage of some (rare) good luck today. Gormley is hockey’s version of a “five-tool player” in baseball; while he doesn’t stand head and shoulders above other prospects in one specific area, he’s more or less good at everything.
This was a great value for the Coyotes.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)