Jun 25, 2010, 8:56 PM EST
Round 1 – 13th overall
Phoenix Coyotes – Brandon Gormley
6’2″, 185 lbs. defenseman, Moncton (QMJHL)
Two bluechip defensemen dropped in the draft – Gormley and Cam Fowler. They went consecutively and to the chagrin of the Kings, Stars and Sharks, both of them also ended up falling to Pacific division teams.
Don Maloney received the first ever GM of the Year award this summer and he’s taking advantage of some (rare) good luck today. Gormley is hockey’s version of a “five-tool player” in baseball; while he doesn’t stand head and shoulders above other prospects in one specific area, he’s more or less good at everything.
This was a great value for the Coyotes.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 50
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)