Jun 25, 2010, 8:50 PM EDT
Round 1 – 12th overall
Anaheim Ducks – Cam Fowler
6’1″, 190 lbs. defenseman, Windsor (OHL)
Fans at the Staples Center greeted the Anaheim Ducks – and their first round pick, Cam Fowler – with a cascade of boos. They might want to get used to jeering the talented defenseman, because chances are, he’ll be a thorn in the side of the Kings for years to come.
Fowler was considered the No. 3 pick (or at least a top-5 selection) according to many experts, so the fact that the Ducks landed him at No. 12 is a potential steal. With Chris Pronger jettisoned in a trade during last year’s draft and Scott Niedermayer announcing his retirement this summer, the future of Anaheim’s blueline is in doubt.
Fowler may very well be the face of that group in a short time.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 0
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 2
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 14
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 45
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)