Jun 25, 2010, 8:50 PM EDT
Round 1 – 12th overall
Anaheim Ducks – Cam Fowler
6’1″, 190 lbs. defenseman, Windsor (OHL)
Fans at the Staples Center greeted the Anaheim Ducks – and their first round pick, Cam Fowler – with a cascade of boos. They might want to get used to jeering the talented defenseman, because chances are, he’ll be a thorn in the side of the Kings for years to come.
Fowler was considered the No. 3 pick (or at least a top-5 selection) according to many experts, so the fact that the Ducks landed him at No. 12 is a potential steal. With Chris Pronger jettisoned in a trade during last year’s draft and Scott Niedermayer announcing his retirement this summer, the future of Anaheim’s blueline is in doubt.
Fowler may very well be the face of that group in a short time.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 3
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39