Jun 25, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Round 1 – 4th overall
Columbus Blue Jackets – Ryan Johanson
6′ 2″, 190 lbs, Portland (WHL)
The Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t want to make this pick, but after taking several calls on the draft floor they never got the offer they so desperately wanted.
So instead of taking Cam Fowler they throw a curveball into the proceedings and select center Ryan Johanson from Portland of the WHL.
Johanson is a great playmaker and a great skater who is about as pure a goal scorer as there is in the draft. I doubt anyone decided he was a top 5 pick, and he’s going to need a few more seasons in the WHL to put on some muscle as he’s a bit of a tall, lanky player.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25