Jun 25, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Round 1 – 4th overall
Columbus Blue Jackets – Ryan Johanson
6′ 2″, 190 lbs, Portland (WHL)
The Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t want to make this pick, but after taking several calls on the draft floor they never got the offer they so desperately wanted.
So instead of taking Cam Fowler they throw a curveball into the proceedings and select center Ryan Johanson from Portland of the WHL.
Johanson is a great playmaker and a great skater who is about as pure a goal scorer as there is in the draft. I doubt anyone decided he was a top 5 pick, and he’s going to need a few more seasons in the WHL to put on some muscle as he’s a bit of a tall, lanky player.
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 8
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)