Jun 25, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Round 1 – 4th overall
Columbus Blue Jackets – Ryan Johanson
6′ 2″, 190 lbs, Portland (WHL)
The Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t want to make this pick, but after taking several calls on the draft floor they never got the offer they so desperately wanted.
So instead of taking Cam Fowler they throw a curveball into the proceedings and select center Ryan Johanson from Portland of the WHL.
Johanson is a great playmaker and a great skater who is about as pure a goal scorer as there is in the draft. I doubt anyone decided he was a top 5 pick, and he’s going to need a few more seasons in the WHL to put on some muscle as he’s a bit of a tall, lanky player.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)