Jun 25, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
Paul Holmgren just announced to the media here at the draft that the Philadelphia Flyers have traded the negotiating rights to Dan Hamhuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a third round draft pick in the 2011 Entry Draft.
So essentially, the Flyers traded away Ryan Parent for at 2011 third round draft pick. There’s likely to be more to the trade, but for now that’s the info we have.
I’d say that was a win for the Flyers.
The hangup with Hamhuis signing in Philadelphia had nothing to do with money or the length of the contract, and more to do with Hamhuis wanting to be considered at least a top four defenseman. In Philadelphia he would have been top four, but CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio told me that he wanted to be formally labeled the #3 defenseman before he signed.
Apparently the Flyers weren’t willing to make that commitment.
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 0
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 27
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)