Jun 25, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
Paul Holmgren just announced to the media here at the draft that the Philadelphia Flyers have traded the negotiating rights to Dan Hamhuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a third round draft pick in the 2011 Entry Draft.
So essentially, the Flyers traded away Ryan Parent for at 2011 third round draft pick. There’s likely to be more to the trade, but for now that’s the info we have.
I’d say that was a win for the Flyers.
The hangup with Hamhuis signing in Philadelphia had nothing to do with money or the length of the contract, and more to do with Hamhuis wanting to be considered at least a top four defenseman. In Philadelphia he would have been top four, but CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio told me that he wanted to be formally labeled the #3 defenseman before he signed.
Apparently the Flyers weren’t willing to make that commitment.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)