Jun 25, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
Paul Holmgren just announced to the media here at the draft that the Philadelphia Flyers have traded the negotiating rights to Dan Hamhuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a third round draft pick in the 2011 Entry Draft.
So essentially, the Flyers traded away Ryan Parent for at 2011 third round draft pick. There’s likely to be more to the trade, but for now that’s the info we have.
I’d say that was a win for the Flyers.
The hangup with Hamhuis signing in Philadelphia had nothing to do with money or the length of the contract, and more to do with Hamhuis wanting to be considered at least a top four defenseman. In Philadelphia he would have been top four, but CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio told me that he wanted to be formally labeled the #3 defenseman before he signed.
Apparently the Flyers weren’t willing to make that commitment.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38