Jun 25, 2010, 11:05 PM EST
Paul Holmgren just announced to the media here at the draft that the Philadelphia Flyers have traded the negotiating rights to Dan Hamhuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a third round draft pick in the 2011 Entry Draft.
So essentially, the Flyers traded away Ryan Parent for at 2011 third round draft pick. There’s likely to be more to the trade, but for now that’s the info we have.
I’d say that was a win for the Flyers.
The hangup with Hamhuis signing in Philadelphia had nothing to do with money or the length of the contract, and more to do with Hamhuis wanting to be considered at least a top four defenseman. In Philadelphia he would have been top four, but CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio told me that he wanted to be formally labeled the #3 defenseman before he signed.
Apparently the Flyers weren’t willing to make that commitment.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 86
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 96
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 180
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (97)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (92)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)