Jun 25, 2010, 3:50 PM EST
Over the past few days, the likelihood of a Mike Ribeiro trade has been steadily rising as the Stars continue their search for a top defenseman while attempting to shed some salary. With several of the centers that were supposedly available going off the market, it seemed that Ribeiro would be able to fetch even more value than before.
Here is what I’m hearing about a possible Ribeiro trade:
- Joe Nieuwendyk is actively seeking a defenseman, but not necessarily by a trade that involves Ribeiro. The Stars don’t appear able to pick up extra salary without trading away some pieces, so it was interesting to hear that the Stars could be looking for a defenseman without losing Ribiero.
- Nieuwendyk won’t be trading Ribeiro just to make a trade. He’s looking for top value for the center, and if that’s not there he’s not going to force a trade to happen.
- With Keith Ballard’s name starting to fly about (more on that in a bit), there has been speculation that the Stars are involved in those discussions. It doesn’t appear that Florida is interested in Ribeiro, however and I’ve heard nothing specific about the Stars being linked to a Ballard trade.
So, what we have is a GM open to trading one of the top centers on the market but not willing to just give him up without a significant return. Sounds about normal.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 0
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)