Jun 25, 2010, 3:50 PM EDT
Over the past few days, the likelihood of a Mike Ribeiro trade has been steadily rising as the Stars continue their search for a top defenseman while attempting to shed some salary. With several of the centers that were supposedly available going off the market, it seemed that Ribeiro would be able to fetch even more value than before.
Here is what I’m hearing about a possible Ribeiro trade:
- Joe Nieuwendyk is actively seeking a defenseman, but not necessarily by a trade that involves Ribeiro. The Stars don’t appear able to pick up extra salary without trading away some pieces, so it was interesting to hear that the Stars could be looking for a defenseman without losing Ribiero.
- Nieuwendyk won’t be trading Ribeiro just to make a trade. He’s looking for top value for the center, and if that’s not there he’s not going to force a trade to happen.
- With Keith Ballard’s name starting to fly about (more on that in a bit), there has been speculation that the Stars are involved in those discussions. It doesn’t appear that Florida is interested in Ribeiro, however and I’ve heard nothing specific about the Stars being linked to a Ballard trade.
So, what we have is a GM open to trading one of the top centers on the market but not willing to just give him up without a significant return. Sounds about normal.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 11
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 28
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 17
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 57
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39