Jun 25, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
There’s been this undercurrent of a rumor the past few days (not all that crazy actually) that the Edmonton Oilers were hoping to make a play for the #2 overall pick in the draft, giving them the ability to draft both Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin at the same time. That would have been a coup of epic proportions, but it doesn’t appear that there was ever a possibility of that happening.
Now comes word from Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli that the Oilers have been insistent on trying for the #2 pick, and made another play about it today.
Chiarelli stated that he’s been steadfast in his refusal to trade down from that #2 spot, although he would have liked to have been in a position of having his choice of which player to pick
As it stands now, the Bruins will snag the player the Oilers don’t, so all signs are pointing to the Bruins picking Tyler Seguin at #2.
Update: Here’s the direct quote from Chiarelli, courtesy of ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
“I spoke with Steve this morning and I told him what I told him before:
that we’re not in a position to make a significant offer to allow us to
pick the player we want in the first two picks,” Chiarelli told ESPN.com
early Friday afternoon. “But he inquired about trading for the second
pick and I have to give him credit. He’s been really persistent in
trying to get that pick. But I told him, as I’ve been telling everyone
else, that I’m not moving the second pick.”
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 13
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 13
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35