Jun 25, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
A trade involving their #5 draft pick, that is.
Unless some odd act of mother nature occurs and Cam Fowler drops to the fifth spot, it seems to be an increasing likelihood that the New York Islanders trade out of their spot. They aren’t in dire need for one of the remaining top defensemen, and seem more interested in trading down to get one of the many players they’re willing to take and who should be available at a later pick.
Nino Niederreiter and Ryan Johanson will certainly be available at a later pick, and there an interesting scenario developing around the #5 to #9 picks.
Tampa Bay seems very interested in grabbing defenseman Brandon Gormley at #6, while the Minnesota Wild have the same thought at #9.
If the Islanders’ pick comes up at #5 and Fowler isn’t there, then it’s very, very likely that the Wild make a play for the fifth pick in order to step ahead of Tampba Bay and take Gormley. That would mean that after Hall and Seguin, three straight defensemen are nabbed from #3 to #5.
The Islanders would move back to #9, and still have their choice of a number of forwards they like while acquiring more draft picks in the process.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic