Jun 25, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
A trade involving their #5 draft pick, that is.
Unless some odd act of mother nature occurs and Cam Fowler drops to the fifth spot, it seems to be an increasing likelihood that the New York Islanders trade out of their spot. They aren’t in dire need for one of the remaining top defensemen, and seem more interested in trading down to get one of the many players they’re willing to take and who should be available at a later pick.
Nino Niederreiter and Ryan Johanson will certainly be available at a later pick, and there an interesting scenario developing around the #5 to #9 picks.
Tampa Bay seems very interested in grabbing defenseman Brandon Gormley at #6, while the Minnesota Wild have the same thought at #9.
If the Islanders’ pick comes up at #5 and Fowler isn’t there, then it’s very, very likely that the Wild make a play for the fifth pick in order to step ahead of Tampba Bay and take Gormley. That would mean that after Hall and Seguin, three straight defensemen are nabbed from #3 to #5.
The Islanders would move back to #9, and still have their choice of a number of forwards they like while acquiring more draft picks in the process.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)