Jun 25, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
A trade involving their #5 draft pick, that is.
Unless some odd act of mother nature occurs and Cam Fowler drops to the fifth spot, it seems to be an increasing likelihood that the New York Islanders trade out of their spot. They aren’t in dire need for one of the remaining top defensemen, and seem more interested in trading down to get one of the many players they’re willing to take and who should be available at a later pick.
Nino Niederreiter and Ryan Johanson will certainly be available at a later pick, and there an interesting scenario developing around the #5 to #9 picks.
Tampa Bay seems very interested in grabbing defenseman Brandon Gormley at #6, while the Minnesota Wild have the same thought at #9.
If the Islanders’ pick comes up at #5 and Fowler isn’t there, then it’s very, very likely that the Wild make a play for the fifth pick in order to step ahead of Tampba Bay and take Gormley. That would mean that after Hall and Seguin, three straight defensemen are nabbed from #3 to #5.
The Islanders would move back to #9, and still have their choice of a number of forwards they like while acquiring more draft picks in the process.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)