Jun 25, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
Over the past 12 hours or so one new named has cropped up in trade speculation, and this time these ‘rumors’ have some legs.
The Florida Panthers have been active in Los Angeles (or at least trying to be) as they look to make some moves on draft day. It appears that defenseman Keith Ballard is being actively shopped via trade, and he’s been linked to a number of teams so far this afternoon.
Right now, it appears that the St. Louis Blues have the most interest, as Jeremy Rutherford is saying that sources with the team state the team is interested in Ballard.
Ballard is under contract for five more seasons at $4.2 million per year, a reasonable contract for one of the better defensemen in the NHL. It’s also important to note that he has a no-trade clause.
Of course, any team that starts talking with Florida about Ballard instantly sees their goaltender run and hide as quickly as possible. That could be a problem.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 11
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 26
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 8
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)