Jun 25, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
The NHL Entry Draft is hours from going down, and amidst a flurry of trade and contracts talk the hockey crowds are starting to gather outside Staples Center.
For those that haven’t been out here to Los Angeles before, I can’t imagine an odder choice for a place to hold the NHL draft but that one that is perfect for building up the spectacle of the festivities.
The climate is perfect, there’s the Pacific Ocean just a few miles away, there are buxom ladies parading around and the area is abuzz with hockey fever. Well, at least within a 5-square block radius at least.
I spent the morning chatting with some prospects and their families, getting an obvious sense of nerves and excitement. For every player, this is going to be the biggest day of their life up until this point.
We’ll have plenty of news and tidbits on all the rumors floating around out there, so stick with us.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35