Jun 24, 2010, 12:11 AM EST
While the Thrashers are busy potentially helping the Blackhawks out of salary cap hell and filling their own roster, it appears the Thrashers will be filling their head coaching vacancy to help put their potential new pieces together on the ice next season.
TSN has learned that Craig Ramsay will be named the new head coach of the Atlanta Thrashers, with associate coach John Torchetti set to join his staff in a move from the Chicago Blackhawks.
Ramsay has been an assistant coach with the Boston Bruins since being named to Claude Julien’s staff in August, 2007.
We’ve mentioned Ramsay here briefly before when the Thrashers went to talk to him the first time and it’s an obvious choice for the Thrashers considering the players they’ll more than likely be getting from the Blackhawks and the Thrashers are going to be bringing a more defensive-minded style of play to Atlanta.
With the hiring of Ramsay, this now officially ends the off-season head coaching search party as the Thrashers are the last to get a new man in place to run the team. It’s a good move to get this taken care of now considering how awkward it would be to show up a the NHL Draft without a coach to have your first round pick to take an awkward photo with on the stage in Los Angeles.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (147)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)