Jun 24, 2010, 12:11 AM EDT
While the Thrashers are busy potentially helping the Blackhawks out of salary cap hell and filling their own roster, it appears the Thrashers will be filling their head coaching vacancy to help put their potential new pieces together on the ice next season.
TSN has learned that Craig Ramsay will be named the new head coach of the Atlanta Thrashers, with associate coach John Torchetti set to join his staff in a move from the Chicago Blackhawks.
Ramsay has been an assistant coach with the Boston Bruins since being named to Claude Julien’s staff in August, 2007.
We’ve mentioned Ramsay here briefly before when the Thrashers went to talk to him the first time and it’s an obvious choice for the Thrashers considering the players they’ll more than likely be getting from the Blackhawks and the Thrashers are going to be bringing a more defensive-minded style of play to Atlanta.
With the hiring of Ramsay, this now officially ends the off-season head coaching search party as the Thrashers are the last to get a new man in place to run the team. It’s a good move to get this taken care of now considering how awkward it would be to show up a the NHL Draft without a coach to have your first round pick to take an awkward photo with on the stage in Los Angeles.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 60
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 7
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional