Jun 24, 2010, 12:11 AM EST
While the Thrashers are busy potentially helping the Blackhawks out of salary cap hell and filling their own roster, it appears the Thrashers will be filling their head coaching vacancy to help put their potential new pieces together on the ice next season.
TSN has learned that Craig Ramsay will be named the new head coach of the Atlanta Thrashers, with associate coach John Torchetti set to join his staff in a move from the Chicago Blackhawks.
Ramsay has been an assistant coach with the Boston Bruins since being named to Claude Julien’s staff in August, 2007.
We’ve mentioned Ramsay here briefly before when the Thrashers went to talk to him the first time and it’s an obvious choice for the Thrashers considering the players they’ll more than likely be getting from the Blackhawks and the Thrashers are going to be bringing a more defensive-minded style of play to Atlanta.
With the hiring of Ramsay, this now officially ends the off-season head coaching search party as the Thrashers are the last to get a new man in place to run the team. It’s a good move to get this taken care of now considering how awkward it would be to show up a the NHL Draft without a coach to have your first round pick to take an awkward photo with on the stage in Los Angeles.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 44
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 57
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 34
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (167)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)