Jun 24, 2010, 12:11 AM EDT
While the Thrashers are busy potentially helping the Blackhawks out of salary cap hell and filling their own roster, it appears the Thrashers will be filling their head coaching vacancy to help put their potential new pieces together on the ice next season.
TSN has learned that Craig Ramsay will be named the new head coach of the Atlanta Thrashers, with associate coach John Torchetti set to join his staff in a move from the Chicago Blackhawks.
Ramsay has been an assistant coach with the Boston Bruins since being named to Claude Julien’s staff in August, 2007.
We’ve mentioned Ramsay here briefly before when the Thrashers went to talk to him the first time and it’s an obvious choice for the Thrashers considering the players they’ll more than likely be getting from the Blackhawks and the Thrashers are going to be bringing a more defensive-minded style of play to Atlanta.
With the hiring of Ramsay, this now officially ends the off-season head coaching search party as the Thrashers are the last to get a new man in place to run the team. It’s a good move to get this taken care of now considering how awkward it would be to show up a the NHL Draft without a coach to have your first round pick to take an awkward photo with on the stage in Los Angeles.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)