Jun 24, 2010, 12:11 AM EDT
While the Thrashers are busy potentially helping the Blackhawks out of salary cap hell and filling their own roster, it appears the Thrashers will be filling their head coaching vacancy to help put their potential new pieces together on the ice next season.
TSN has learned that Craig Ramsay will be named the new head coach of the Atlanta Thrashers, with associate coach John Torchetti set to join his staff in a move from the Chicago Blackhawks.
Ramsay has been an assistant coach with the Boston Bruins since being named to Claude Julien’s staff in August, 2007.
We’ve mentioned Ramsay here briefly before when the Thrashers went to talk to him the first time and it’s an obvious choice for the Thrashers considering the players they’ll more than likely be getting from the Blackhawks and the Thrashers are going to be bringing a more defensive-minded style of play to Atlanta.
With the hiring of Ramsay, this now officially ends the off-season head coaching search party as the Thrashers are the last to get a new man in place to run the team. It’s a good move to get this taken care of now considering how awkward it would be to show up a the NHL Draft without a coach to have your first round pick to take an awkward photo with on the stage in Los Angeles.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)