Jun 24, 2010, 1:52 PM EST
The Internet is a funny beast. In the NHL off-season it’s not uncommon to have all kinds of rumors find their way on to and then off of the trade radar in a moments notice. Trust us, we understand how it goes. While the sources for these crazy rumors are generally well known by now to NHL fans and quickly disregarded, it’s another thing when it comes from sources you don’t expect. Like a team’s official Twitter feed.
Welcome to the asylum, the Toronto Maple Leafs want you to try the Kool-Aid.
Wild rumour today-Kaberle-Kulemin-Bozak to Edmonton for 1st overall and a big Oiler salary…we’ll see.
Now never mind how absolutely out of this orbit crazy this deal seems, but it’s obvious that they’re hinting that the player in return from the Oilers would be Sheldon Souray as he’s a player looking to get out of Edmonton and has a very large salary. The other beauty of the Internet is that it doesn’t take long for things like this to be blown away thanks to the truth. Enter TSN’s Darren Dreger to bring us back to reality.
Sources say the Maple Leafs have 5 offers on the table for Kaberle, but none that they’re ready to accept.
Unless one of those offers is said crazy deal tweeted by the Maple Leafs, it’s safe to say the only thing the Leafs have done by publishing that rumor is to antagonize both their fan base and the Oilers fan base. That is, if the fans even bought into it in the first place.
Now for the truly hilarious part in this whole thing: Damage control. The Leafs then later tweeted this to clear things up a bit.
Burkie just told me he hasn’t spoken to Edm about any deal for their top pick.Possibility of any 1st round pick is slim.
Perhaps we should take the cell phones away from the kids if they’re just going to give the organization a bad name putting out nonsense.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)