Jun 24, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
The Internet is a funny beast. In the NHL off-season it’s not uncommon to have all kinds of rumors find their way on to and then off of the trade radar in a moments notice. Trust us, we understand how it goes. While the sources for these crazy rumors are generally well known by now to NHL fans and quickly disregarded, it’s another thing when it comes from sources you don’t expect. Like a team’s official Twitter feed.
Welcome to the asylum, the Toronto Maple Leafs want you to try the Kool-Aid.
Wild rumour today-Kaberle-Kulemin-Bozak to Edmonton for 1st overall and a big Oiler salary…we’ll see.
Now never mind how absolutely out of this orbit crazy this deal seems, but it’s obvious that they’re hinting that the player in return from the Oilers would be Sheldon Souray as he’s a player looking to get out of Edmonton and has a very large salary. The other beauty of the Internet is that it doesn’t take long for things like this to be blown away thanks to the truth. Enter TSN’s Darren Dreger to bring us back to reality.
Sources say the Maple Leafs have 5 offers on the table for Kaberle, but none that they’re ready to accept.
Unless one of those offers is said crazy deal tweeted by the Maple Leafs, it’s safe to say the only thing the Leafs have done by publishing that rumor is to antagonize both their fan base and the Oilers fan base. That is, if the fans even bought into it in the first place.
Now for the truly hilarious part in this whole thing: Damage control. The Leafs then later tweeted this to clear things up a bit.
Burkie just told me he hasn’t spoken to Edm about any deal for their top pick.Possibility of any 1st round pick is slim.
Perhaps we should take the cell phones away from the kids if they’re just going to give the organization a bad name putting out nonsense.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)