Jun 24, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
The Internet is a funny beast. In the NHL off-season it’s not uncommon to have all kinds of rumors find their way on to and then off of the trade radar in a moments notice. Trust us, we understand how it goes. While the sources for these crazy rumors are generally well known by now to NHL fans and quickly disregarded, it’s another thing when it comes from sources you don’t expect. Like a team’s official Twitter feed.
Welcome to the asylum, the Toronto Maple Leafs want you to try the Kool-Aid.
Wild rumour today-Kaberle-Kulemin-Bozak to Edmonton for 1st overall and a big Oiler salary…we’ll see.
Now never mind how absolutely out of this orbit crazy this deal seems, but it’s obvious that they’re hinting that the player in return from the Oilers would be Sheldon Souray as he’s a player looking to get out of Edmonton and has a very large salary. The other beauty of the Internet is that it doesn’t take long for things like this to be blown away thanks to the truth. Enter TSN’s Darren Dreger to bring us back to reality.
Sources say the Maple Leafs have 5 offers on the table for Kaberle, but none that they’re ready to accept.
Unless one of those offers is said crazy deal tweeted by the Maple Leafs, it’s safe to say the only thing the Leafs have done by publishing that rumor is to antagonize both their fan base and the Oilers fan base. That is, if the fans even bought into it in the first place.
Now for the truly hilarious part in this whole thing: Damage control. The Leafs then later tweeted this to clear things up a bit.
Burkie just told me he hasn’t spoken to Edm about any deal for their top pick.Possibility of any 1st round pick is slim.
Perhaps we should take the cell phones away from the kids if they’re just going to give the organization a bad name putting out nonsense.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)