Jun 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
If you missed out on the NHL Awards last night, you actually have a reason to be upset with yourself as the level of completely awkward situation dropped dramatically and host Jay Mohr was able to turn his opening monologue into a celebrity roast of sorts. Hey, you have to do something when your first few jokes go over like a fart in church so why not take some pokes at the Phoenix Coyotes and the Bruins historic playoff failure.
The highlight of the evening belonged to a taped skit featuring Anaheim Duck forwards Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf, with a special appearance by recently-retired Scott Niedermayer thrown in for good measure. The results are surprisingly fantastic.
Pretty impressive stuff from three guys who have obviously been paying attention to Hollywood while playing hockey in southern California. The league should take note that doing things like this help to better show off their stars and how funny these guys can be when not doing semi-robotic interviews.
I’m not trying to tell the folks in the NHL marketing department how to do their job, but more of this kind of stuff would be fantastic to see on a regular basis.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 2
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)