Jun 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
If you missed out on the NHL Awards last night, you actually have a reason to be upset with yourself as the level of completely awkward situation dropped dramatically and host Jay Mohr was able to turn his opening monologue into a celebrity roast of sorts. Hey, you have to do something when your first few jokes go over like a fart in church so why not take some pokes at the Phoenix Coyotes and the Bruins historic playoff failure.
The highlight of the evening belonged to a taped skit featuring Anaheim Duck forwards Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf, with a special appearance by recently-retired Scott Niedermayer thrown in for good measure. The results are surprisingly fantastic.
Pretty impressive stuff from three guys who have obviously been paying attention to Hollywood while playing hockey in southern California. The league should take note that doing things like this help to better show off their stars and how funny these guys can be when not doing semi-robotic interviews.
I’m not trying to tell the folks in the NHL marketing department how to do their job, but more of this kind of stuff would be fantastic to see on a regular basis.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 0
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 1
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 26
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)