Jun 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
If you missed out on the NHL Awards last night, you actually have a reason to be upset with yourself as the level of completely awkward situation dropped dramatically and host Jay Mohr was able to turn his opening monologue into a celebrity roast of sorts. Hey, you have to do something when your first few jokes go over like a fart in church so why not take some pokes at the Phoenix Coyotes and the Bruins historic playoff failure.
The highlight of the evening belonged to a taped skit featuring Anaheim Duck forwards Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf, with a special appearance by recently-retired Scott Niedermayer thrown in for good measure. The results are surprisingly fantastic.
Pretty impressive stuff from three guys who have obviously been paying attention to Hollywood while playing hockey in southern California. The league should take note that doing things like this help to better show off their stars and how funny these guys can be when not doing semi-robotic interviews.
I’m not trying to tell the folks in the NHL marketing department how to do their job, but more of this kind of stuff would be fantastic to see on a regular basis.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control