Jun 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
If you missed out on the NHL Awards last night, you actually have a reason to be upset with yourself as the level of completely awkward situation dropped dramatically and host Jay Mohr was able to turn his opening monologue into a celebrity roast of sorts. Hey, you have to do something when your first few jokes go over like a fart in church so why not take some pokes at the Phoenix Coyotes and the Bruins historic playoff failure.
The highlight of the evening belonged to a taped skit featuring Anaheim Duck forwards Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf, with a special appearance by recently-retired Scott Niedermayer thrown in for good measure. The results are surprisingly fantastic.
Pretty impressive stuff from three guys who have obviously been paying attention to Hollywood while playing hockey in southern California. The league should take note that doing things like this help to better show off their stars and how funny these guys can be when not doing semi-robotic interviews.
I’m not trying to tell the folks in the NHL marketing department how to do their job, but more of this kind of stuff would be fantastic to see on a regular basis.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11