Jun 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
If you missed out on the NHL Awards last night, you actually have a reason to be upset with yourself as the level of completely awkward situation dropped dramatically and host Jay Mohr was able to turn his opening monologue into a celebrity roast of sorts. Hey, you have to do something when your first few jokes go over like a fart in church so why not take some pokes at the Phoenix Coyotes and the Bruins historic playoff failure.
The highlight of the evening belonged to a taped skit featuring Anaheim Duck forwards Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf, with a special appearance by recently-retired Scott Niedermayer thrown in for good measure. The results are surprisingly fantastic.
Pretty impressive stuff from three guys who have obviously been paying attention to Hollywood while playing hockey in southern California. The league should take note that doing things like this help to better show off their stars and how funny these guys can be when not doing semi-robotic interviews.
I’m not trying to tell the folks in the NHL marketing department how to do their job, but more of this kind of stuff would be fantastic to see on a regular basis.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)