Jun 24, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
The dominoes are falling into place now that the new salary cap has been set at $59.4 million. We’ve seen it announced that the Sharks have done their part to keep some guys in place and now the Bruins are following up and doing the same thing as Joe Haggerty at Comcast Sports Net tells us.
CSNNE.com has confirmed that the Bruins have signed defenseman Johnny Boychuk, who would have become a free agent on July 1, to a two-year deal.
And just what kind of money would be involved in keeping the emerging defenseman? Haggerty spills those beans on Twitter.
CSNNE.com has learned Johnny Boychuk 2-year deal w/Bruins is for $3.5-3.75 million and doesn’t carry no-trade provisions, per a source
Those of you worried that those numbers are per year, fear not, that’s the total worth of the deal as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun found out.
Boychuk deal is $3.75 M over two years. $1.75 M next season and $2M in 2011-12
It’s a good, inexpensive deal for the Bruins to get done with a guy that became one of their most reliable defensemen last year. While his regular season numbers aren’t thrilling, it’s the playoffs where Boychuk shined and averaged just over 26 minutes of ice time per game, a vast difference to the 17 minutes he was getting during the regular season. Boychuk brings a more physical element to the game for the Bruins which is something they rely on to get their team going.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 3
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39