Jun 24, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
The dominoes are falling into place now that the new salary cap has been set at $59.4 million. We’ve seen it announced that the Sharks have done their part to keep some guys in place and now the Bruins are following up and doing the same thing as Joe Haggerty at Comcast Sports Net tells us.
CSNNE.com has confirmed that the Bruins have signed defenseman Johnny Boychuk, who would have become a free agent on July 1, to a two-year deal.
And just what kind of money would be involved in keeping the emerging defenseman? Haggerty spills those beans on Twitter.
CSNNE.com has learned Johnny Boychuk 2-year deal w/Bruins is for $3.5-3.75 million and doesn’t carry no-trade provisions, per a source
Those of you worried that those numbers are per year, fear not, that’s the total worth of the deal as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun found out.
Boychuk deal is $3.75 M over two years. $1.75 M next season and $2M in 2011-12
It’s a good, inexpensive deal for the Bruins to get done with a guy that became one of their most reliable defensemen last year. While his regular season numbers aren’t thrilling, it’s the playoffs where Boychuk shined and averaged just over 26 minutes of ice time per game, a vast difference to the 17 minutes he was getting during the regular season. Boychuk brings a more physical element to the game for the Bruins which is something they rely on to get their team going.
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 43
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31