Jun 24, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
As is customary every year the media had a nice session with a number
of the top NHL prospects here in Los Angeles, on a terrace that
overlooks downtown. Way off in the distance you could barely make out
the “Hollywood” sign through the smog, but it was still a fitting
backdrop for these players to discuss their future on the eve of the
It’s tough to really get a whole lot of information from
these question and answer sessions, but it is nice to be able to talk to
the players in a semi-informal environment. Some are very confident and
ready for the draft to start, others are starting to feel that
nervousness start to kick in as they wait to find out which organization
they’re headed to.
Here are some of the highlights from the
– Taylor Hall says that he’d be content with whatever
team picks him, saying that both Boston and Edmonton are great
organizations and he’d be proud to play for either one. He said that he
has no clue which way either team is leaning, and that he’s working on
really building up his strength this summer to gear up for what should
be his first NHL season.
“We’ve been fighting all the time,
it’s such a bitter rivalry,” Hall said with a sly grin when asked about
spending the past few weeks with Tyler Seguin. He said he hopes they can
build a great competitive rivalry against each other and that this
draft will link them together for the rest of their careers.
Brandon Gormley is very confident, and says that he’s ready for the
draft after spending the past few months under the microscope. He says
he’s most proud of his ability to stay composed, and that he thinks
that’s something teams would like to have in a young player.
composed in all situations, something I’m proud of. I don’t make the
rushed decisions, and I can bring a strong sense of leadership to the
– Cam Fowler (who was a bit smaller than I expected) is
also confident, and says that he’s not really worried about where he
might fall. With Fowler, Gudbranson and Brett Connelly all right there
in the mix, Fowler says that he’s expecting to go anywhere from #3 to #5
and he’d be happy with whatever happens.
“I’m just trying to do
well in these interviews and show that I’m a good person, too. They’re
not just looking for good hockey players, they’re looking for good
people as well. You gotta be confident in yourself and know that it’s
going to work out in the end and you’re going to fall into the right
Fowler has been shown a lot of interest by Florida and
said that he had another interview with them later this afternoon.
the most interesting ‘development’ came while talking to Jack Campbell.
This was my first time meeting the American goaltender, and I have to
say that while some may be put off by his on-ice cockiness, he is one
great guy and really easy to talk. I had fun just chatting with him
about the World Juniors (“Best experience of my life, the American crowd
was great.”) as well as some talk about American junior hockey hero
What was eyebrow-raising about it though was when
he mentioned which teams had shown a lot of interest in him. Now, this
doesn’t necessarily give away a team’s intentions because anything can
happen on the draft floor, but Campbell said that the teams that have
shown him the most interest were Phoenix and Dallas.
specifically pointed out Dallas as a team that’s talked to him a couple
of times, and he mentioned how GM Joe Nieuwendyk had spoken with him
this morning. The Stars pick at #11, and while they are most likely to
take a defenseman like Derek Forbort, the organization is certainly
hurting for a blue-chip goaltending prospect like Campbell.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)