Jun 24, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
There’s a lot of news flying around today as we get ready for the
draft tomorrow night in Los Angeles and with the latest blockbuster
trades and contract signings, things are starting to get really
We won’t get into a whole lot of detail here, as
there really isn’t a lot available, but here is a roundup of what’s
floating out there right now. We’re probably missing some as well, but
these are the big points.
- With Patrick Marleau’s contract
extension, the free agent market for first-line centers has dried up.
This has made the market for centers via trade heat up, and it’s likely
we see some trades including big-name centers going down soon. Jason
Spezza is actively being shopped and word has it that Marc Savard is as
well (NTC notwithstanding). The price for these players has gone up
however, as the sellers certainly have the upper hand.
- A trade
involving Mike Ribeiro is looking more and more imminent. The Dallas
Stars aren’t going to just give him away, but there are some defensemen
out there available and more teams need centers than are being made
- Rumors have been flying all day long regarding Tomas
Kaberle, as can be expected. Brian Burke is actively shopping the
defenseman here in LA, although the supposed trade with Edmonton doesn’t
look to be anything more than a loose rumor (perpetuated by the team,
- The other thing to keep an eye on is the goaltending
position, as Tim Thomas’ agent has been given permission to speak with
teams about a trade. Thomas has a no-movement clause, and the Bruins
need to free up some cap space. You also wonder what they might be able
to get in return, as there are going to be a number of goalies available
in free agency as well.
- It looked like Michael Leighton could
have been on his way out of Philadelpha, but Tim Panaccio is saying that Paul
Holmgren is meeting with Leighton’s agent today. The Flyers aren’t
completely out of the woods yet, salary wise, but certainly have a bit
of room to sign Leighton if they feel that’s a better option than free
- I’m still doubting we see many more trades involving
first round picks, as the price gets more expensive with each trade.
Still, there are persistent murmurs that the Leafs are looking to get
back into the first round and with Tomas Kaberle as a bargaining chip
it’s certainly possible.
Anything we missed? Let us know by
emailing us at prohockeytalk(at)gmail(dot)com.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 13
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 30
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)