Jun 24, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
There’s a lot of news flying around today as we get ready for the
draft tomorrow night in Los Angeles and with the latest blockbuster
trades and contract signings, things are starting to get really
We won’t get into a whole lot of detail here, as
there really isn’t a lot available, but here is a roundup of what’s
floating out there right now. We’re probably missing some as well, but
these are the big points.
- With Patrick Marleau’s contract
extension, the free agent market for first-line centers has dried up.
This has made the market for centers via trade heat up, and it’s likely
we see some trades including big-name centers going down soon. Jason
Spezza is actively being shopped and word has it that Marc Savard is as
well (NTC notwithstanding). The price for these players has gone up
however, as the sellers certainly have the upper hand.
- A trade
involving Mike Ribeiro is looking more and more imminent. The Dallas
Stars aren’t going to just give him away, but there are some defensemen
out there available and more teams need centers than are being made
- Rumors have been flying all day long regarding Tomas
Kaberle, as can be expected. Brian Burke is actively shopping the
defenseman here in LA, although the supposed trade with Edmonton doesn’t
look to be anything more than a loose rumor (perpetuated by the team,
- The other thing to keep an eye on is the goaltending
position, as Tim Thomas’ agent has been given permission to speak with
teams about a trade. Thomas has a no-movement clause, and the Bruins
need to free up some cap space. You also wonder what they might be able
to get in return, as there are going to be a number of goalies available
in free agency as well.
- It looked like Michael Leighton could
have been on his way out of Philadelpha, but Tim Panaccio is saying that Paul
Holmgren is meeting with Leighton’s agent today. The Flyers aren’t
completely out of the woods yet, salary wise, but certainly have a bit
of room to sign Leighton if they feel that’s a better option than free
- I’m still doubting we see many more trades involving
first round picks, as the price gets more expensive with each trade.
Still, there are persistent murmurs that the Leafs are looking to get
back into the first round and with Tomas Kaberle as a bargaining chip
it’s certainly possible.
Anything we missed? Let us know by
emailing us at prohockeytalk(at)gmail(dot)com.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)