Jun 23, 2010, 11:43 PM EDT
We want to keep you up to date on what’s going on with the proposed trade between Chicago and Atlanta that we told you about earlier this evening that would send Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Ben Eager and Akim Aliu to Atlanta for Marty Reasoner, prospect Jeremy Morin and the 24th and 54th overall picks in this year’s NHL Draft. It turns out TSN’s Bob McKenzie shared the info he got on what the potential hold up on the deal is through Twitter. As it turns out, it could just be some bookkeeping that needs to be done on Atlanta’s side of things.
It is my understanding Chi-Atl trade hold up is indeed because Atl would have 51 contracts with trade. Atl has to move a contract first.
Yes, there’s a limit to how many contracts a team can have on its books at one time and with the Thrashers potentially adding four players while sending away two that +2 to their books would be enough to put them over the top. As for whether or not this deal will be worked out, McKenzie again feeds us the information we’re looking for.
If I am reading Chi-Atl as yet unofficial “trade” correctly, it may not be consummated til Thur or Fri in L.A. Atl needs to move contract.
So while nothing has been completed officially and a trade call between the league and the teams has not happened, it’s pretty clear this deal is as close as possible to being done. As for the parties involved, their reactions to finding out they’re potentially on their way out of town have been interesting the say the least. Defenseman Brent Sopel enlightened everyone via Twitter that the trade hasn’t been confirmed but hints that things could be changing with him soon.
Thank You Everyone for the Amazing Well Wishes, but this is all just Rumor and has not been Confirmed yet. But regardless I LOVE U CHICAGO!
Ahh the beauty of Twitter, making everyone write in Internet shorthand because they have to keep their thoughts limited to 140 characters. One thing Chicago should be hoping is that Atlanta GM Rick Dudley isn’t on Twitter as well because the fans are teeing off on this deal calling an almost definitive victory in favor of Chicago for freeing up cap space and getting a first round pick and a top prospect for players who you’re not exactly sure what they’ll be able to do in Atlanta.
Anyhow, we’ll keep you informed on this as things shake out with the
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal