Jun 23, 2010, 11:43 PM EDT
We want to keep you up to date on what’s going on with the proposed trade between Chicago and Atlanta that we told you about earlier this evening that would send Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Ben Eager and Akim Aliu to Atlanta for Marty Reasoner, prospect Jeremy Morin and the 24th and 54th overall picks in this year’s NHL Draft. It turns out TSN’s Bob McKenzie shared the info he got on what the potential hold up on the deal is through Twitter. As it turns out, it could just be some bookkeeping that needs to be done on Atlanta’s side of things.
It is my understanding Chi-Atl trade hold up is indeed because Atl would have 51 contracts with trade. Atl has to move a contract first.
Yes, there’s a limit to how many contracts a team can have on its books at one time and with the Thrashers potentially adding four players while sending away two that +2 to their books would be enough to put them over the top. As for whether or not this deal will be worked out, McKenzie again feeds us the information we’re looking for.
If I am reading Chi-Atl as yet unofficial “trade” correctly, it may not be consummated til Thur or Fri in L.A. Atl needs to move contract.
So while nothing has been completed officially and a trade call between the league and the teams has not happened, it’s pretty clear this deal is as close as possible to being done. As for the parties involved, their reactions to finding out they’re potentially on their way out of town have been interesting the say the least. Defenseman Brent Sopel enlightened everyone via Twitter that the trade hasn’t been confirmed but hints that things could be changing with him soon.
Thank You Everyone for the Amazing Well Wishes, but this is all just Rumor and has not been Confirmed yet. But regardless I LOVE U CHICAGO!
Ahh the beauty of Twitter, making everyone write in Internet shorthand because they have to keep their thoughts limited to 140 characters. One thing Chicago should be hoping is that Atlanta GM Rick Dudley isn’t on Twitter as well because the fans are teeing off on this deal calling an almost definitive victory in favor of Chicago for freeing up cap space and getting a first round pick and a top prospect for players who you’re not exactly sure what they’ll be able to do in Atlanta.
Anyhow, we’ll keep you informed on this as things shake out with the
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)