Jun 23, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan was awarded the King Clancy Award today. It is handed out for “leadership qualities on and off the ice.” The Arizona Republic captured Doan’s reaction to receiving the King Clancy as well as being nominated for the Mark Messier Leadership Award.
Of the Clancy award, Doan said: “That’s pretty special. A big thank you to the NHL writers for giving me that honor, and to Bryzie and Tip . . . all of a sudden a team has some success, and everyone kind of gets rewarded for it, grateful and thankful for it.”
Doan said he grew up watching Messier play for the Edmonton Oilers.
“I lived and breathed and loved Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Grant Fuhr, that group of players . . . and obviously Messier with what he’s meant to our league in general . . . to be mentioned in away. it feels good.”
What looked like it would be a trying year for Doan ended up being a great success, with the Coyotes pushing the San Jose Sharks for the Pacific division title and the Detroit Red Wings to a seven-game series in the first round of the playoffs. The rugged winger’s play declined a bit this season, but he’s still an emotional leader for a team that seemed a little more legitimate than a typical Cinderella story.
Congratulations to Doan. He’s put in a lot of years with mostly bad Coyotes teams and deserves such honors.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5