Jun 23, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan was awarded the King Clancy Award today. It is handed out for “leadership qualities on and off the ice.” The Arizona Republic captured Doan’s reaction to receiving the King Clancy as well as being nominated for the Mark Messier Leadership Award.
Of the Clancy award, Doan said: “That’s pretty special. A big thank you to the NHL writers for giving me that honor, and to Bryzie and Tip . . . all of a sudden a team has some success, and everyone kind of gets rewarded for it, grateful and thankful for it.”
Doan said he grew up watching Messier play for the Edmonton Oilers.
“I lived and breathed and loved Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Grant Fuhr, that group of players . . . and obviously Messier with what he’s meant to our league in general . . . to be mentioned in away. it feels good.”
What looked like it would be a trying year for Doan ended up being a great success, with the Coyotes pushing the San Jose Sharks for the Pacific division title and the Detroit Red Wings to a seven-game series in the first round of the playoffs. The rugged winger’s play declined a bit this season, but he’s still an emotional leader for a team that seemed a little more legitimate than a typical Cinderella story.
Congratulations to Doan. He’s put in a lot of years with mostly bad Coyotes teams and deserves such honors.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 5
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 53
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 45
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)