Jun 23, 2010, 3:20 PM EST
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan was awarded the King Clancy Award today. It is handed out for “leadership qualities on and off the ice.” The Arizona Republic captured Doan’s reaction to receiving the King Clancy as well as being nominated for the Mark Messier Leadership Award.
Of the Clancy award, Doan said: “That’s pretty special. A big thank you to the NHL writers for giving me that honor, and to Bryzie and Tip . . . all of a sudden a team has some success, and everyone kind of gets rewarded for it, grateful and thankful for it.”
Doan said he grew up watching Messier play for the Edmonton Oilers.
“I lived and breathed and loved Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Grant Fuhr, that group of players . . . and obviously Messier with what he’s meant to our league in general . . . to be mentioned in away. it feels good.”
What looked like it would be a trying year for Doan ended up being a great success, with the Coyotes pushing the San Jose Sharks for the Pacific division title and the Detroit Red Wings to a seven-game series in the first round of the playoffs. The rugged winger’s play declined a bit this season, but he’s still an emotional leader for a team that seemed a little more legitimate than a typical Cinderella story.
Congratulations to Doan. He’s put in a lot of years with mostly bad Coyotes teams and deserves such honors.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 7
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 19
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11