Jun 23, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan was awarded the King Clancy Award today. It is handed out for “leadership qualities on and off the ice.” The Arizona Republic captured Doan’s reaction to receiving the King Clancy as well as being nominated for the Mark Messier Leadership Award.
Of the Clancy award, Doan said: “That’s pretty special. A big thank you to the NHL writers for giving me that honor, and to Bryzie and Tip . . . all of a sudden a team has some success, and everyone kind of gets rewarded for it, grateful and thankful for it.”
Doan said he grew up watching Messier play for the Edmonton Oilers.
“I lived and breathed and loved Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Grant Fuhr, that group of players . . . and obviously Messier with what he’s meant to our league in general . . . to be mentioned in away. it feels good.”
What looked like it would be a trying year for Doan ended up being a great success, with the Coyotes pushing the San Jose Sharks for the Pacific division title and the Detroit Red Wings to a seven-game series in the first round of the playoffs. The rugged winger’s play declined a bit this season, but he’s still an emotional leader for a team that seemed a little more legitimate than a typical Cinderella story.
Congratulations to Doan. He’s put in a lot of years with mostly bad Coyotes teams and deserves such honors.
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 3
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 10
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 26
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)