Jun 23, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan was awarded the King Clancy Award today. It is handed out for “leadership qualities on and off the ice.” The Arizona Republic captured Doan’s reaction to receiving the King Clancy as well as being nominated for the Mark Messier Leadership Award.
Of the Clancy award, Doan said: “That’s pretty special. A big thank you to the NHL writers for giving me that honor, and to Bryzie and Tip . . . all of a sudden a team has some success, and everyone kind of gets rewarded for it, grateful and thankful for it.”
Doan said he grew up watching Messier play for the Edmonton Oilers.
“I lived and breathed and loved Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Grant Fuhr, that group of players . . . and obviously Messier with what he’s meant to our league in general . . . to be mentioned in away. it feels good.”
What looked like it would be a trying year for Doan ended up being a great success, with the Coyotes pushing the San Jose Sharks for the Pacific division title and the Detroit Red Wings to a seven-game series in the first round of the playoffs. The rugged winger’s play declined a bit this season, but he’s still an emotional leader for a team that seemed a little more legitimate than a typical Cinderella story.
Congratulations to Doan. He’s put in a lot of years with mostly bad Coyotes teams and deserves such honors.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)