Jun 23, 2010, 7:55 PM EST
Before the start of tonights NHL Awards in Las Vegas, the NHL announced the 2010 All-Rookie team and there were very few surprises.
Jimmy Howard – Detroit Red Wings
Michael Del Zotto – New York Rangers
Tyler Myers – Buffalo Sabres
Matt Duchene – Colorado Avalanche
Niclas Bergfors – Atlanta Thrashers
John Tavares – New York Islanders
The two names that might catch some fans off guard here are Bergfors and Del Zotto, but there’s no denying the great seasons they had this year. For Bergfors, after starting the season in New Jersey and then being a big piece in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade. Del Zotto, meanwhile, came into this season hoping to stick around with the Rangers and turned into a power play phenom for the Rangers to start the season.
As for the other winners, three of them are Calder candidates and the other was the number one pick in 2009. That’s a pretty sweet pedigree.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8