Jun 23, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Before the start of tonights NHL Awards in Las Vegas, the NHL announced the 2010 All-Rookie team and there were very few surprises.
Jimmy Howard – Detroit Red Wings
Michael Del Zotto – New York Rangers
Tyler Myers – Buffalo Sabres
Matt Duchene – Colorado Avalanche
Niclas Bergfors – Atlanta Thrashers
John Tavares – New York Islanders
The two names that might catch some fans off guard here are Bergfors and Del Zotto, but there’s no denying the great seasons they had this year. For Bergfors, after starting the season in New Jersey and then being a big piece in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade. Del Zotto, meanwhile, came into this season hoping to stick around with the Rangers and turned into a power play phenom for the Rangers to start the season.
As for the other winners, three of them are Calder candidates and the other was the number one pick in 2009. That’s a pretty sweet pedigree.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 64
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63