Jun 23, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Before the start of tonights NHL Awards in Las Vegas, the NHL announced the 2010 All-Rookie team and there were very few surprises.
Jimmy Howard – Detroit Red Wings
Michael Del Zotto – New York Rangers
Tyler Myers – Buffalo Sabres
Matt Duchene – Colorado Avalanche
Niclas Bergfors – Atlanta Thrashers
John Tavares – New York Islanders
The two names that might catch some fans off guard here are Bergfors and Del Zotto, but there’s no denying the great seasons they had this year. For Bergfors, after starting the season in New Jersey and then being a big piece in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade. Del Zotto, meanwhile, came into this season hoping to stick around with the Rangers and turned into a power play phenom for the Rangers to start the season.
As for the other winners, three of them are Calder candidates and the other was the number one pick in 2009. That’s a pretty sweet pedigree.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5