Jun 23, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Before the start of tonights NHL Awards in Las Vegas, the NHL announced the 2010 All-Rookie team and there were very few surprises.
Jimmy Howard – Detroit Red Wings
Michael Del Zotto – New York Rangers
Tyler Myers – Buffalo Sabres
Matt Duchene – Colorado Avalanche
Niclas Bergfors – Atlanta Thrashers
John Tavares – New York Islanders
The two names that might catch some fans off guard here are Bergfors and Del Zotto, but there’s no denying the great seasons they had this year. For Bergfors, after starting the season in New Jersey and then being a big piece in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade. Del Zotto, meanwhile, came into this season hoping to stick around with the Rangers and turned into a power play phenom for the Rangers to start the season.
As for the other winners, three of them are Calder candidates and the other was the number one pick in 2009. That’s a pretty sweet pedigree.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35