Jun 23, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Jordan Staal is recovering from his second foot surgery in as many months, reports Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. After getting injured in a first round series with the Ottawa Senators, the lanky center came back from surgery sooner than just about anyone else expected during the Penguins’ second round series with the Montreal Canadiens.
Penguins center Jordan Staal, who came back to play in the second round of the playoffs six days after surgery to repair a sliced tendon on the top of his right foot, had a second surgery about three weeks ago.
“I just had a minor procedure just to kind of help it move along quicker and heal faster,” Staal said during a media availability today at the Palms Casino Resort, site of Wednesday’s NHL Awards show. He is a finalist for the Selke Award, which goes to the top defensive forward.
We’ll find out if the younger brother of Eric Staal will be a Frank Selke Award winner tonight. He faces some truly tough competition, though, in the form of near-perennial Selke winner Pavel Datsyuk and Olympic standout Ryan Kesler.
It’s unclear if Staal has the offensive instincts to live up to his No. 2 draft position, but he’s still an asset to Pittsburgh. He might not score like Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, but Jordan Staal allows the team to rank among the league’s deepest at center.
Staal said that he expects to be in crutches/a “boot” for about three more weeks and then will need some rehab afterward. From that estimate, it sounds like he won’t miss training camp but we’ll let you know if his status changes.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54